20. Emergency trip to Nantucket

previously in What happens after Vegas:

"Our Stephanie is awake and she is asking for you," he said to Rory. "Samantha is waiting for you there."

Rory stood up after she gave her husband a quick kiss on his lips and disappeared through the doors, leaving James there. When she got to room 2.53 Samantha was waiting outside the room for her, she gave her hug before going in together.

"Hi, Steph," Rory said.

Even though Rory knew in was a great possibility she was shocked and surprised when Steph started to mumble incoherently for a while until a very difficult, stuttering 'hi' came out.

It was hard to see her like this but the doctor said we had to keep staying positive for her, if she ever wanted the recover process to go as quick as possible .

--

"I'm Dr. Hawkins. I'm your neurologist," The doctor walked in, shaking hands with Samantha and James. "Can you tell us your name?" He asked Steph.

"Uhm, Stephanie," she mumbled.

"Good; can you tell me what this is that I'm holding?" he asked her, holding up a phone.

"It's a c-computer?" she mumbled.

"Are you sure?"

As Steph nodded her head Dr. Hawkins wrote something down on his clipboard. He turned to her parents and saw their faces.

"That's actually that's a positive sign. She knows the category, that it's an electronic," he told them before turning back to his patient. "It's a phone. Can you say phone'?"

"The phone," She stuttered.

"Good."

"That's it, princess." James encouraged his daughter.

"Can you tell me what this is?" The doctor continued, he held up a hairbrush.

"Mmm, It's a brush." Steph stuttered.

"Good. Good, good," the doctor said. "So, as you can see, she's experiencing some cognitive deficits, some neurological symptoms, the hand tremor and the leg twitching. She's gonna need some assistance walking, at least for a little while. Just a, you know, cane or a walker, I don't think she needs a wheelchair. I am optimistic about her prognosis. She's one of the lucky ones. But, I have to warn you, her full recovery is gonna take a long time."

"Can she come home?" James asked.

"I don't think that's such a good idea, she's gonna need round-the-clock care. The hospital has a terrific inpatient rehab facility that specializes in TBI. She will also need to see our psychologist."

The young adults sat in the hospital cafeteria.

"Why isn't there anything remotely edible here,"Rory grunted frustrated.

"There's fruit," Colin shrugged.

"I'm sorry, since when do I eat healthy stuff?" She replied.

"Right, I forgot," Colin chuckled.

"Rory you need to call your mom, dad said she was not picking up," Logan stressed, arriving back at the table.

"She is probably just at work," Rory shrugged. "Did he try Luke's cell?"

"He even went by the house, the Inn and Luke's," Logan replied.

"Oh, wow, well, please excuse me for a minute then."

Rory started to get worried, she grabbed her phone and left the cafeteria. When she had finally found her mother's number she pressed the 'call' button.

"Lorelai Danes," sounded after ten rings.

"Mom thank god!" Rory sighed in relief.

"Oh, hi, sweets," Lorelai said casually.

"Don't 'hi sweets' me, I was worried!" Rory yelled into the phone.

"Why?"

"Because, mother, Mitchum has been trying to reach you all day and you didn't pick up and neither did Luke and you weren't at the house, the Inn, or at Luke's,"Rory explained now agitated.

"Oh, right, we kind of needed to make an emergency trip to Nantucket," Lorelai explained to her daughter.

"Well, next time leave a note or a message or something," Rory barked.

"Sorry, sweets," she apologised.

"So Nantucket? Grandma okay?"

"She's in the hospital," Lorelai explained sadly.

"What happened?" Rory panicked.

In the meantime Logan had just joined his wife outside because he was getting worried about her being gone so long. He kissed her cheek. Seeing her all panicky he wrapped his arms around her.

"There was an accident at the museum, I don't know the details, the doctors just said that it was severe and we had to be there as fast as we could."

"Okay, well, keep me posted, I guess," Rory replied helplessly.

"Will do, kid."

As soon as Rory hung up the phone tears sprung in her eyes while she clung onto Logan for dear life.

▪▪
It's short. I know. I'm sorry. 🙈🙉🙊