29. Speeches and more

Rosemary stood in front of the large double doors. She had her eyes closed and breathed out one last time, her smile brighter than ever before. 

The last bridesmaid, Lily, just walked down the aisle and now it was time for Rose to make her way down the aisle as well.

The music changed and they started to play somewhere only we know on the Cello as the double doors opened. Rosemary came walking through on the arm of her father with the biggest smile on her face. She saw her soon-to-be husband and her eyes glinstered, she was so incredibly happy.

On the other side of the room on top of the alter was Finn waiting for his Rose to come through those bloody doors, as soon as he saw her on her dad's arm his breath hitched in his throat and his eyes shone, she looked breath-taking and it was like time stood still.

Rose smiled at Finn's reaction, it was everything, his smile was incredible. He looked so handsome. As her father placed her hands upon Finn's and kissed the top of his daughter's head telling her that he could never have been more proud of her, as Finn held her hands she stepped up the alter.

"Dear friends and family, today we are here to witness the union of Finnegan Morgan and Rosemary Abbott if you are opposed to this marriage speak now or forever hold your peace," the officiant said. "Though they told me to mention that if anyone had any of you had objections to their marriage they could, and I quote, Bloody screw it and leave."

This earned a laugh from all the guests.

Rosemary's mother, however, sat twisting uncomfortably in her seat, she felt the pressing need to say something to stop this sham of a wedding. According to her, this wedding was the abomination of the century, to start, Finn wasn't the right man for her daughter, and it was also Great Gatsby/20s themed. Something that crazy boy had talked her into, no doubt. No, this wedding was just a no from her mom, BUT, Rosemary was her only daughter and she didn't want to miss her wedding, even if she didn't agree, though they'd probably get divorced again in a year or two.

"Another piece they wanted me to share with you is that the only music that is going to be played from now on is only going to be from the 20s, and there are only dance moves allowed from that decade," the officiant continued with a slight laugh. "Now let's begin."

"Marriage deepens and enriches every facet of life. Happiness is fuller; memories are fresher; commitment is stronger. Marriage understands and forgives the mistakes life is unable to avoid. It encourages and nurtures new life, new experiences and new ways of expressing love through the seasons of life.

Love is patient and kind, love does not envy or boast, it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way, it is not irritable or resentful, it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes in all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends.

While the commitment begins with the two of you, its effect radiates outward. It touches your family and friends and ultimately all of society. When this commitment is seriously made and continuously fulfilled, it leads to the richest and most rewarding of human relationships. This is, I am sure, what you Finnegan, want for Rosemary and it is also what you, Rosemary, want for Finnegan. It is also what your family and friends who are gathered here want for the two of you.

When a couple treats each other with kindness, love, and respect, the best of what marriage has to offer is the result. Your relationship will take more than love. It will take trust, to know in your hearts that you want only the best for each other. Dedication, to stay open to one another, to learn and grow, even when it is difficult to do so. And faith, to go forward together without knowing what the future holds for you both. While love is our natural state of being, these other qualities are not as easy to come by.

They are not a destination, but a journey. Marriage is a give and take between two personalities, a mingling of two endowments which diminishes neither, but enhances both. Your joining together today becomes all the more important to recognize the significance of a devoted and affectionate family life. Seeing that no moment is without meaning, we ask that you take this marriage as a beginning of your lives together. 

Today signifies the creation of a new home and a new family for you both. May you be fulfilled by each other's love and friendship. May you be overjoyed by the promises you are about to make and the life together you will create. Remember that in every marriage, there are good times and bad, times of joy and times of sorrow. Marriage is a journey, a time of adventure and excitement enhanced by the love, trust, dedication and faith you share in one another.

You are mature enough to know the difference between dreams and realities. You have youth and hope. You also know that good times are sweeter when shared and that difficult times are less harsh when carried by two. Continue to work to build a foundation that will support the lasting relationship that is marriage. May the promises you make to one another today, be lived out to the end of your lives. Tomorrow can bring you the greatest of joys, but today is the day it all begins. 

Finnegan and Rosemary, do you, with your family and friends as your witnesses, present yourselves willingly and of your own accord to be joined in marriage?"

"We do." They replied looking deep in each other's eyes

"Will you promise to care for each other in the joys and sorrows of life, come what may, and to share the responsibility for growth and enrichment of your life together?"

"We will."

-

After the ceremony people got in their cars and drove to the venue where the reception would be held. Flowerfield in Saint James, New York. 

Everyone got seated at their table while they waited for the wedding party to arrive, who were outside in the garden taking pictures.

A few of the whole wedding party, father and son, mother and son, Finn with both parents, mother and daughter, father and daughter, Rose with both parents, only the newlyweds, bride and bridesmaids, groom and groomsmen and pictures of the family.

The parents and wedding party went to join the rest of the guests in the ballroom to find their seats. Finn and Rose held back, mainly because they insisted on making an entrance but Rose had always said that at her wedding she would have at least one wardrobe change. 

So she stayed true to her 10-year-old self and changed from her wedding dress to a long, glittery Bordeaux dress.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, it is my honour to be the first to introduce you to Mr and Mrs  Finn and  Rosemary Morgan."

Before it was time to eat Finn and Rose had their first dance. A Waltz. While the photographer captured some beautiful smiles and memories on camera.

After a 4-course meal, it was time for speeches.

"My wife, Rory, showed me this quote a while ago and I thought it was the perfect way to describe our friends Finn and Rose. It was this quote by dr. Seuss, it said, 'we are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.' But that is a way to describe all couples here in this room I later thought, and we continued searching and found one by a woman called Christy Ann Martine, 'He had never met a woman who understood his odd heart, but she recognized each peculiar beat, for her strange heart was also unique.' 

I have known Finn ever since boarding school in Switzerland, we were just two guys unwilling to grow up, we met in detention. We had both pulled a prank on our headmaster, we bonded and became inseparable, we became brothers. From the moment we bumped into Rose on campus I know he was hooked, she took a little more convincing but finally, after years of chasing her, he got her. Congrats man, I wish you guys all the happiness in the world. A toast!" Logan raised his glass of scotch. "To the happy couple!"