Prologue

***

Edited.
Prologue

I thrusted the star stencil on the pile of mud I had managed to muster with my tiny hands. I lifted it off carefully before I grinned when I gazed at the perfectly shaped star project out in the mud.

"Will you be making some more?" enquired a timid voice above me. I lifted my gaze up to see a grey-eyed mousy little boy who seemed a bit older than my age.

I turned back my attention towards the stars that were scattered around the castle I had engraved. I put my chubby little finger on my chin as if I were thinking before looking over to the boy and grinned.

"Sure!" I giggled and bent over to gather more mud.

"Can I help?" He spoke quickly. I paused and looked over at him, who seemed quite anxious.

"You wanna help me?" I asked pointed my finger at myself. He nodded slowly. I grinned.

"Okay!" I announced as I went over to pick up the stencil.

"You gather up the mud, I'll put this on it. Okay?" I instructed as I held up my star toy. He nodded as he got to work.

I giggled as I watched him stumble over my shovel. His face reddens as he quietly gathered some mud before wobbling over to me.

"I'm Blaire." I introduced myself as I stuck out my hand. "And I'm four and a half years old." I puffed up my chest proudly when I revealed my age. He left his gathering on the ground before he took my hand.

"I'm almost six." He sighed, sounding rather sad. The grin that I always seemed to wear, abated.

"Is something wrong?" I asked quietly. He looked over to me before he nodded.

"I'm shifting my house." He spoke as he glared at his feet. "I won't be able to see my friends anymore."

I tilted my head. "No, You will be able to see them. You're just moving houses." I explained. The boy shook his head.

"You don't understand." He heaved another sigh. "I'm shifting my house to another country."

My mouth formed an 'O' as I took a step towards him.

"I'm sorry about that." I apologized quietly. "I wouldn't understand. I-I've had no friends to worry about if I ever moved away, anyway." I dropped my gaze towards my fiddling toes. "My daddy won't allow me speak to anyone. He is very strict."

"You are my first friend." I admitted shyly before bitting my lip and looked over to him. Mirth danced in his eyes before he opened his mouth to say something, only to be interrupted by a distinct voice that yelled for someone.

His eyes widen.

"I need to go." He whispered to himself before he scurried away into the woods. I reached out my tiny hand in the direction he took off, hoping to intercept my very first friend from running away.

Then my eyes widen.

I didn't even ask his name. I scolded myself with a frown.

"Blaire, I thought we had an agreement not to speak to strangers." A voice spoke softly. I tore my gaze from the woods and looked over to my mom who hovered above me with an worried expression. "Daddy will be mad if he hears about this."

I grinned, completely ignoring what she said.

"Mommy!" I squealed before I reached my tiny arms towards her, gesturing her to pick me up. I giggled as she lifted my fragile body and settled me on the curve of her hip. She sighed as she mumbled something incoherently.

I frowned when I noticed the forming bruise on her left cheek.

"What is that?" I asked as I reached my chubby finger to touch it. She swatted my hand away before she let out a shaky breath.

"N-Nothing." she stammered as she broke eye contact with me.

"ALINA! Come back here!" My dad's irate voice roared across the atmosphere. My mom looked frantic as she placed me down gently before she looked around.

"Run, Blaire." She whispered before her breath ragged as my dad yelled again.

"Run before he catches you too."

***
***(A/N) please vote, comment, and share this story with your Wattpad friends***