Chapter 12: Small meet-up

Nate were only back for two weeks before he was heading back to the US to participate in another convention and this time he would be there for nearly a week. This convention was called Vidcon and he seemed extremely excited about it as it was the first ever convention he had gone to other than Summer In The City in London. He had made so many friends last year and was overly excited to see them all again.

However he had missed me and I had him, which resulted in that we meet up everyday and I usually stayed over at his flat. He was still busy though and still daily vlogging and that did make it rather difficult for me sometimes. I always felt the urge to leave the room whenever he picked up his small camera and started talking to it.

Whenever I wasn’t with Nate, I spend my time studying for my business exam coming up very shortly. I suddenly felt a strain studying for the exam that I had never had before. I loved going to school, reading and learning but now I found that I would rather be outside photographing or spending time with Nate. I brushed it off as just being distracted because I had finally experienced love but worried how this changed attitude might affect my studies.

Nate and I didn’t only spend time going on dates, hanging out or staying in bed, we also helped out each other with respectively videos and photographs. I helped hold his camera and finding better natural lighting but in videos that was not always ideal. A photo was snapped in a second while the lighting should stay the same for an extended period of time when it was used in videos. The first week flew by quickly and before I knew it, it was time for Nate to do a meet-up he had arranged as he had returned home.

I was at his flat when a blonde woman arrived to help him. Unfortunately he was running late from another meeting, resulting in me being alone with the stranger.

“Hi, I’m Lucy,” she said and smiled kindly.

“Abigail,” I said. I didn’t feel like introducing myself as Nate’s girlfriend.  “You’re from YouTube headquarters?”

She smiled wide. “No, I work for Gleam Futures. We’re managers of social talent.”

“Oh.” I did remember Nate talking about his managers. If I remembered correctly Dom who had been present at the celebratory video worked for them as well. I thought the women Hannah, I had met was from YouTube HQ though.

“Nate’s running late,” I explained. “He got caught up in a meeting and just called me.”

She looked slightly worried. “Okay…”

“What’s the problem?”

“It’s just that we’re on a pretty tight schedule and the meet-up is in half an hour. Did he have a box of merchandize ready?”

“Yes,” I said and walking in to his office room and came back with a big box containing T-shirts, jumpers, snapbacks and God knows what else. “There’s another box too.”

A text buzzed in from Nate.

“He’s still being kept and are going directly to the meet-up from the meeting,” I said.

Lucy quickly drew her phone and then arranged for the security to go to Nate’s meetings location. She then looked conflicted. “Is there anyway I can get you to help me with the boxes?”

I was brought up to be polite and agreed without hesitation. I helped get them into the car and she asked if I wanted to come to the meet-up. To this I hesitated but then decided that I could take some photos.

On the car-ride to the meet-up place, Lucy continued to talk to me.

“You’re the photographer from PureSimplePhotos, am I right?”