Chapter 13: Back in Brighton

I was quite sure it wasn’t normal to be this nervous about meeting a couple of people but the pure thought of Nate’s parents were enough to leave me paralyzed. I feared that they might not like me, which I knew didn’t mean anything in the sense of how Nate felt about me, but it would still be so much easier if his parents approved.

I wondered if he was as nervous about meeting my parents as I were his. We had agreed to take both visits in a row since it seemed much easier when they all lived in Brighton. First we were going to have lunch with my parents and then later dinner with his parents.

Nate had also tried to schedule that we could meet up with Marcus and Alfie and that also terrified me a bit even though they seemed like nice boys. I just had a hard time wrapping my mind about the fact they were so loved by people they had never met and I felt guilty when I got to spend time with them when I knew someone would sacrifice so much to be in my place.

I didn’t think like that of Nate anymore. Not since we had grown so close and steady, I didn’t feel guilty holding that place because I knew he wouldn’t what anyone else than me in it.

The train ride to Brighton was slow and steady and we were seated opposite each other.

“Mind if I vlog a bit, Abbs?” Nate asked in the sweetest voice that he knew I could never refuse. I gave him an affirming nod.

“So guys, I’m now heading to Brighton to spend some time with my family and I might stop by Alfie’s flat later. I haven’t seen my parents in about… two weeks! That’s insane. I guess I’ve just been to busy wrapped up in…”

His words slowed and he looked past the camera and found my eyes. His eyes glimmered and he had a shy smile on his face that immediately made me grin like a fool.

“Making videos and stuff,” he said and continued his vlog. “I’ve been daily vlogging every single day since Vlogmas 2013. That’s even more crazy.”

He continued to ramble on and I just sat watching him with that stupid grin on my face. I understood why so many young girls watched his videos. He was handsome, funny and kind which all shone through brightly into the camera. He talked to them like they were his best friends. The more I got to understand YouTube the more fascinated I became.

We arrived at Brighton Station and headed straight to my house. I had texted both of them that we would arrive shortly but regardless they looked surprised when they found us standing in the doorway.

“Oh, Abigail you could have given us a little heads up as to when you would arrive,” my mum complained and embraced me in a tight hug.

“I did. I said it last night on the phone and I sent you both a text half an hour ago,” I said quietly.

“I didn’t get that,” my mum replied but I knew it was much more likely that she hadn’t checked her phone.

“You must be Nathanial,” my mum said formally and extended her hand.

If you could die from embarrassment then I would have been dead long ago. I was used to my mother’s weird idea of greetings and since I had never ‘brought home’ a boyfriend before I had been prepared for her awkwardness. 

Nate fought a smile. “Actually my name is Nathan but I usually go by Nate,” he answered politely and shook my mum’s hand.

He shot me a quick glance that told me how amused I was by that.

“Well, we don’t like the use of nicknames in this house, but you are solely welcomed anyway, Nathan.”

My father had remained silent as he usually did. His eyes rolled over Nate slowly and firmly and I was happy that I was not at the end of that glance.