Chapter 33: Amity Fest in Brighton

Nate had been gone for three days to perform Amity Fest with the rest of his crew and so far they had had an absolute blast. I had skyped and talked to him numerous times each day and also stayed up to date with all of the vlogs from him and his friends.

Tonight they were doing the last show of the trio and it was going to take place in Brighton because obviously quite a few of the YouTubers had roots there plus they had gotten a really big venue.

I was happy about it as well as I could use it as an excuse to go visit my parents. I would have liked to have joined Nate on tour for all of the shows but I knew that I would just be in the way and sometimes it was good not to be attached on the hip as people accused us of. The times I missed him the most was when I crawled into my empty bed without the familiar warmth of his body next to mine.

Emma and I were going to the Brighton show and I was hell of excited. I had heard talk of Amity Fest for what seemed like months and I knew quite a lot of the aspects in the show and I predicted that it was doing to be so good.

I had been a bit cheeky and tried to find footage from the shows in Birmingham and Liverpool because I almost couldn’t wait. Emma was just as bad as I, and she had even gotten a VIP ticket to ensure that she could meet the crew yet again.

Unfortunately, Joe had still been ill these past few days and had been unable to make it to any of the shows. I had kept an eye on him after I had received a worried text from Caspar but Joe’s dad had been with him most of the time.

I still had set aside time to visit the Jaspar household on our way to Brighton to check up on him. I had Emma in tow and I was slightly worried about how she would react when she knew the address of their home and would be invited inside.

“You promise to behave, right? He’s poorly,” I asked Emma as we walked to their front step.

Emma couldn’t conceal her excitement but her voice was steady as she said: “Of course, I’m not a child. I won’t do anything inappropriate.”

Nate had a spare key to their place and with permission from Caspar I had been allowed to use it.

“This is every fangirls dream,” Emma muttered under her breath.

“Joe!” I called out as we entered. “Are you decent?”

I felt my phone buzz with a text from Joe.

*Yes. I’m in my room*

Emma looked over my shoulder and rolled her eyes while she kept talking to herself. I didn’t quite catch it but something about having Joe’s phone number.

We went down the stairs after I had placed a bowl of chicken soup on the counter. It was a special recipe that my mother always made me when I felt poorly.

“Hi Joe,” I called out quietly.

He was sitting on his bed surrounded by pillows.

“You could’ve warned me that you brought your sister,” Joe said to me in a hushed tone. “Hey Emma,” he then added.

“Hi Joe, sorry to disturb you. Feeling better? Good enough for the show?” she asked with a hopeful expression on her face.

He shook his head. “I thought I might but sadly I’m not.”

He looked really sad about it. I knew how much Nate had been looking forward to it and if he had been in Joe’s shoes, he would have been pissed. They had worked so darn hard to make Amity Fest the best experience for their viewers and he was missing it.

I walked to his bed and leaned over to give him a kiss on the forehead. I didn’t think about the fact that he was older than I, he was ill and should be taken care of.