Chapter 27: The wedding invitation

I had totally forgotten that I had promised Nate to keep the third Saturday of September free. I had been busy at the time and just promised it to make him shut up. I was frantic when he reminded me of my promise that Saturday morning.

“Wait, what?” I asked. I pressed my palm against my forehead. “Right, the third Saturday.”

He grinned at me with a very pleased smile.

“What are we doing?”

Nate wiggled his eyebrows.

I wanted to smack him but I found him too cute.

“Please tell me,” I said and cuddled up next to him in bed.

“We’re going to my cousin’s wedding,” he said.

I felt the blood drain from my face. He couldn’t be serious. A wedding? No, that would mean way to many people and too many of Nate’s family members that would want to meet me.

“Before you say anything,” Nate said calmly, while taking my hands in his and squeezing gently. “Take a deep breath.”

My eyes darted to him suspiciously but I did as I was told.

“Remember how far you’ve come and I would really like to take you with me,” he told me.

I breathed out. It did help calm the nerves a bit but I still felt uneasy.

“But a wedding is a family event…” I tried to protest.

Nate interrupted me. “I know but I want you there.”

I frowned and then broke into a smile. He knew that I couldn’t resist those blue puppy eyes of his.

“I have nothing to wear,” I protested.

“Yeah, you do. You’re borrowing a dress from Emma.”

“You got my sister in on this too? I’m going to kill her,” I said, of course not meaning it but I didn’t like that she hadn’t warned me about Nate’s plans.

“I told her not to tell you because if you knew in advance you would wander around and get all stressed out about it. This way you won’t be able to do that.”

“Want to bet?” I asked.

He gave me a sideway smile and pulled me into his arms.

“I think that it’ll be good for you to go but if you don’t want to, that’s fine too, love.”

I put my arms around his neck and snuggled closer. I sighed deeply.

Nate was right. It would be good for me to go to a wedding and try to get used to being at events again. Next week both Nate and I had agreed to attend Zoe’s launch party for Zoella Beauty and I was both excited and scared. This would be a good way to test myself first.

“Besides there is someone I really want you to meet,” Nate told me.

“Who?”

“My paternal grandparents.”

“Oh, wait is that Bob and his wife?” I asked. Nate had talked about Bob on several occasions and I could hear how fond of him he was. They even talked on the phone at least once a month.

“Yeah and he really wants to meet you.”

“Fine!” I exclaimed in defeat. “I’ll go.”

Nate leaned in and kissed me.

Several hours later, we were exiting a taxi in Bristol in front of a castle like building. I gabbed Nate’s hand and tugged at my dress.