Chapter Thirty-Two

The following day, I returned to my throne inside of Alessia's mind, sensing her go limp as if she didn't even feel like trying anymore. She had seen Dylan's devotion to me firsthand, and she had to be pushed aside to allow Dylan to care for me.

She didn't feel like being second best, but she didn't know how to stop loving him.

I had met Lucas before school, and we shared a few intimate moments before school began. No one seemed to even notice that we had our hands linked, and that's when I noticed just how invisible Alessia is—even with Lucas.

When lunch rolled around, I took a deep breath, realising that Alessia had dance practise. And Olivia was in today. I wasn't sure how well Alessia would deal with her; I knew how this played out—I wouldn't be happy with my team, nor with Alessia.

I walked into the hall as Olivia Clark, climbed the stairs as Olivia Clark, but as soon as the real Olivia laid eyes on me, I became Alessia Trent. I didn't want to be the one to clear up her mess.

The real Olivia Clark frowned over at her, watching her approach. She met her in the middle, a questioning look on her face. "Alessia, right?" She asked, eyes searching Alessia's for a second. Alessia nodded, crossing her arms over her chest defensively. "What are you doing up here?" Olivia asked, "We have dance rehearsals." She said.

Alessia nodded. "I know—I'm on the dance team now." Olivia's eyebrows shot up, and she glanced around her at her team.

"Is this true?" She asked Ashley, who was coincidentally nearby.

Ashley shrugged, "Ask Kiara." She said, before walking away and herding the girls together.

Olivia frowned, suddenly stumbling, confused as to what to do. She glanced over at Kiara, sighing.

Alessia noticed how Olivia was suddenly apologetic as she turned to face her. "I'm sorry, Alessia, but we're mid-competition right now. I'm sorry my teammates gave you false hope. Maybe next term?" She offered. I hated to disappoint people, it's probably where my obsessiveness over good grades come from, and so I was genuinely looking out for Alessia, apologetic over the mistakes that had been made on my behalf. I was just trying to fix the situation, but Alessia was having none of it.

She pulled a face, "One of the girls gave me a CD with all the tracks on them, and I've been practising with every spare moment I've got," she told Olivia, "I'm sure if you helped me..."

I remembered this. Alessia was preying on my need to fix a situation, and I realised it.

I shook my head, "Sorry, Alessia, but I look forward to seeing you in the summer term." With that, Olivia turned around and strode off, saying something to Kiara quickly before beginning the practices.

Alessia wanted to rip the speakers from the walls and throw them at Olivia. I was beginning to realise that Alessia was somewhat impulsive. And so I flipped the control, taking my position back.

I took a deep breath, before turning around and descending the stairs with my head held high, as if that was supposed to happen, as if I was supposed to get turned away. Walk like you know where you're going, talk like you know what you're talking about. Fake it until you make it.

I got to Alessia's replacement locker down in the lonely depths of the school, exchanging her dance bag for her school bag, before pulling out her phone and texting Lucas.