Chapter Thirty-Eight

In the next week or so, Alessia had sat five papers, and she was not nearly done

In the next week or so, Alessia had sat five papers, and she was not nearly done. I let her sit all of the subjects she had revised, whereas I would take control and sit the ones that I had revised for. It was as if we were divorced parents sharing a child.

Ironic, since that was Olivia Clark's life.

Today was Alessia's first history paper, and I woke up feeling a mixture of things. I felt lost, but also ready to get down to school and give the paper my best shot.

I got ready hastily, throwing Alessia's hair into a bun before quickly leaving the house. When I got outside, though, I was welcomed by a new addition to our front door. An eviction notice.

I stared at it, my heart stopping.

'EVICTION NOTICE' it read, and, with a basket full of regret, I let my eyes scan the rest of the letter.

'To Tenant: Mr H Trent

You are required to leave this address by, or on, 3 September 2018.'

I glanced across all the boring details, over the signature of the landlord, and skipped to the end.

'Dated: 3 June 2018'

Well, shoot.

I read the notice a hundred times, before realising that my bottom lip was trembling.

It was then that I let out an ugly sob. I slapped my hand across my mouth, silencing the cries as they escaped. I fell to the floor, curling up and whimpering, tears falling from my eyes.

"Just let me go home," I begged nobody, my voice jarred by the sobs. "Let me live that life, as Olivia Clark, and not this life; not her life," I continued, hiccuping, "please."

As expected, no one responded, and so after five or so minutes, I dragged myself up off the floor, swallowing and tearing the notice down. I shoved it into my school bag before trudging down the front drive, starting my walk to school.

When I finally got to school, I only had enough time to throw my bag into my locker and go to my exam.

"Alessia!" Someone called suddenly.

I turned slowly, recognising the voice. It was the Headteacher. But it wasn't he who made me freeze, it was the two police officers beside him.

Flashes of what Alessia had done to my locker came back to me, and I recalled that Alessia and I had been two distinct substances at that point. Now we melted into almost one.