chapter 17

Harry stomped through the corridors pushing and shoving past people to get to the owlery. Everything angered him lately , yet he knew one person that would understand and may give him advise on how to apologize  to his friends. So he pushed past the group of ravenclaw with a set goal in mind , he was going to write a letter to the only father figure he had , Sirius Black.

He sat at the windowsill of the owlery and rummaged through his bag for his quill and parchment and began to write.

Dear padfoot
I hope your alright
Its starting to get colder here. Winter is definitely on its way. In spite of being at Hogwarts I feel more alone that ever. I hope you of all people will understand.

Harry debated whether to continue before setting down his quill. He didn't want to tell his godfather about Scarlett just yet. Not until they were on better terms.

Carefully he placed his belongings back in his bag and stood up to leave. He needed a walk and chose to walk along the dark forest the hagrids hut was in order. Even if hagrid was gone for awhile.

He saw Ron and Hermione walking down the corridor walking to breakfast and swiftly turned away , avoiding them yet again.

There was a chill in the morning air. Birds were chirping quietly in the trees. The grass was slowly losing it's colour a clear sign that winter was approaching fast. And with it a new year. Harry walked down the pathway to hagrids. It was quiet, peaceful even which was something he hadn't felt in days. It was pleasant , letting his mind wander yet it always went back to his friends no matter how hard he tried.

The silence seemed to be the last thing he needed. Changing his path and walking into the forbidden forest in order to end the silence.

The trees blocked most of the sun from view and the temperature seemed to drop. Strange noises coming for seemingly everywhere. Almost like it was a different world.

A whisp of white hair caught his eye through the trees , walking closer he saw that it was the girl in the carriage, Luna lovegood. She seemed strange but kind. Her arm was outstretched ,an apple in hand offering it to the creatures that pulled the carriage as if they were dogs.

The creatures fascinated harry in a way. Only he and a few others seemed to be able to see them. Luna seemed unbothered by them .

Harry walked closer , the leaves crunching under his feet.

"Hello harry potter" she greeted , looking at the thestral. Harry looked down at her feet. They were bare and had tints of blue from the cold and small cuts from walking on twigs.

"Your feet ,aren't they cold" harry asked.

"A bit , unfortunately all of my shoes have mysteriously disappeared" she answered , turning for a moment to look at harry. "I suspect nargles are behind it" she added dreamily.

They didn't speak after that. Both watching the creature in front of them as it walked back to its little family. Helping one of its young to walk.

"What....... are they" harry asked , watching them prance around the forest together. Happy to be surrounded by its family. Connection. That's what it had. A natural instinct wanted by all living creature , and harry was no exception.

"There called thestrals , there quite gentle really but most people tend to avoid them because.....there a bit" she stopped, hearing the baby thestral screech.

"Different" harry finished , following her line of sight. He felt a connection to these creatures. They were so much like him in his current situation.

Luna started to walk closer , harry trailed behind.

"But why can't the others see them"

"Because" Luna began facing him "they can only be seem by people who have seem death". They continued to walk closer.

" so you've know someone who's died then" harry realised ,feeling sympathy for the blond , having seen death himself last year.

"My mum" she answered "she was quite an extraordinary witch , but she did like to experiment and one day one of her spells went badly wrong. I was nine"

"I'm sorry" harry said knowing what she felt like without a mother.

"Yes it was rather horrible. I do feel rather sad about it sometimes. But I've got dad" she continued , pulling an apple out of her bag "we both believe you by the way. That you know who is back and you fought him and that the ministry and the prophet are conspiring against you and dumbledore".

" thanks "harry sighed" seem your about the only ones that do"

"I don't think that's true , but I suppose that's how he wants you to feel"

"What do you mean" harry asked confused.

"Well if I were you know whoid want you to feel cut off from everyone else , cos if its just you your not as much of a threat" she said , turning to smile at him.

Harry kepts his eyes on her. She opened her hand showing a piece of raw meat and throwing it to the thestrals , both watching it eat it together. 

They turned to face each other silently having a conversation. And harry knew it was time to mend fences with Scarlett and his friends.

"You know its strange " Luna said at they entered the castle. "Before it was only Scarlett and I able to see the thestrals".

Harry walked towards his friends nervously. They looked up at him as he approached." Can I sit down"harry asked nervous.

"Yes" Hermione answered " yes yes of course , so down".

Slowly he sat on the bench as they resumed talking , he was finally happy for the first time in a while. It was like he had never left.

But in the back of his mind he knew Scarlett was still owed an apology. And it had better be good.