Stomach Tied In Knots (II)

Ryleigh
I must've been out for hours. I didn't face nightmares this time. Instead I saw happy memories with mom and dad. I woke up crying without really noticing it. The fluorescent lights were dimmed. The pale moon shone in through the big window across from my bed. I remembered the accident and realized I must be in the hospital. Where was Dad? The door to my room cracked open. I closed my eyes and pretended to sleep.

"Ryleigh?"a male voice asked. It was hard to tell who beings it could be anyone but I definitely knew them. I stayed still. I heard the door close and footsteps edge closer to my bed. A chair slid across the floor and they pulled it closer to me. "I'm so sorry all of this happened. I'm not technically supposed to be here. It's after visiting hours but I snuck in. Everyone else is in the waiting room. I didn't want you to wake up alone,"the voice said. I was trying to place it. I must've moved somehow.

"Ryleigh, I know you're awake,"he said. I opened my eyes. It took them a moment to adjust and I found Ryan Ross sitting next to me. "What's the matter? Are you in pain? You look like you've been crying,"he said nervously. I shrugged. "You can tell me,"he said with an awkward laugh that was raspy sounding. I got a good look at him then. His appearance was disheveled, it was so different from the easygoing Ryan I had met before.

"What's wrong?"I croaked. "Nothing. Do you want some water?"he asked. Things were awkward and we kept changing topics. Something wasn't right. I nodded and he poured me a small cup. I almost dropped it, my hands were shaking so he helped me to drink it by holding the cup.

"What happened? How's dad?"I asked in an attempt to get the elephant out of the room. "They had to knock you out in the ambulance. It was all over the news. A drunk driver sped through the red light and hit you guys. He's got a concussion and a few bruises but that's it,"he said and took a breath.

"I came as soon as Sarah called me to say you weren't there. I put two and two together when it appeared on the news. I rushed to pick her up and we came straight here. I called everyone else. They took you straight into surgery for your leg. You were lucky it wasn't any worse. The car hit Brendon's side first but he was going so fast that you flipped. Brendon tried to shield you and he took the worst of the blow,"he said and stopped as if unsure whether he should continue.

"You have a mild concussion. That mean nurse knocked you out before I could calm you earlier. What was that about?"he asked. "I don't wanna go into it right now. How's Dad? Ryan, please. Tell me, I deserve to know,"I said. He looked at me real serious. I saw the tears glistening. No, no, no. It can't be. "The steering wheel had slowed down the bleeding. A part of his ribcage punctured a hole in his heart. There was some other bleeding internally and a broken arm,"Ryan said.

"Is he okay?"I asked. Ryan hesitated. Unsure how to answer, he shrugged. The heart monitor started to speed up. "Ryleigh, deep breaths,"he said. I breathed with him a few minutes until it went back to a steady beeping. "Where's dad then?"I asked. I knew he'd be here if at all possible. For the record, mom wasn't here either.

"Sarah's with him. I told her I would stay with you. Bren-----he's---Ryleigh, I'm not sure how to say this but he's in the ICU,"Ryan said. The tears started running down my face. It should've been me. It's never me, it's always the ones I love. Ryan stood and lowered the bed rail. He sat on the edge of the bed and was careful not to disturb my leg. He pulled me into his arms and I cried into his chest as I hugged him back, all the wires and machines attached to me included.

He didn't let go. I realized then that he probably needed this as much as I did. It's got to be hard on Ryan, too. Dad was his best friend for years and then they didn't talk for years. He must feel horrible, too. I didn't want to imagine living without dad. I couldn't live with myself. These thoughts kept me awake. "Hey, Ry?"I asked. "Yeah?"he chuckled. That was a nickname we had in common. It was nearing three in the morning. I wasn't tired but I doubt anyone else could sneak in. "Can you sing for me?"I asked. He nodded and started Northern Downpour.

I could tell it was hard by the emotions on his face while he sang with his eyes closed. The tears fell involuntarily. Dad always struggled singing this song after the break up. I focused in on Ryan's singing and even breathing. I eventually drifted off into a peaceful sleep, hearing Ryan's voice sing.

Brendon
I don't know where I am. Everything went black after I saw Ryleigh before the ambulances. I remember feeling pressure on my chest, one after another like someone was hitting me. Sarah must've found out. She's been with me the whole time which leads me to worry about Ryleigh. I don't know how to get out of the state I'm in. I don't know what time it is.

I've been hit with memory after memory. Some of me as a kid and others like my wedding day or the day we adopted Ryleigh. Most all of them were happy and filled me with a sense of peace. There was a sudden bright light. I don't think I'm ready for this moment. Who could be prepared for this? How could anyone prepare for this? I let go as I listened in around me to try to understand what was happening.

Things happening around Brendon

"Oh my God! Brendon!"Sarah yelled. People ran into the room. "Ma'am, we need you to step out,"someone spoke as my wife sobbed. There was this annoying solid steady beep. "He's slipping! We're losing him!"someone else yelled. "Push one, epi!"a different person yelled. "Charge 200!"another shout. A jolt, my body moved up and down. Pressure on my chest again. "Charge 300!"another shout. Chaos was occurring in the room. "Another epi!"someone said. Then sudden silence.

"Time of death 11:56 pm,"someone spoke softly.