Heroine

Ryleigh
I woke up again around 4 in the morning. I was slightly disoriented. Ryan was lying next to me, asleep. There was stomping footsteps running in the hall past my room. There was lots of shouting. "It's Urie,"someone shouted. I heard yelling and sobbing. "Ryan!"I whispered and tried to wake him. He didn't stir. "Ryan!"I tried again with more force. "Ryleigh!"he sat straight up. "What's wrong, honey?"he asked as he looked at me.

"Somethings wrong. Someone ran by and they shouted it's Urie. What's happening with dad? Is he okay?"I asked worriedly. "I'm sure everything is fine. The best doctors in the world are caring for him, you need to rest,"he said. "No! Not until I know he's okay,"I said. "I'll go see, okay?"Ryan said. I nodded with wide eyes. He left and only moments later, Pete walked in. "Where's Ryan?"I asked confused.

"He'll be back. Ryleigh, you need to rest,"he said. He was trying to keep a poker face but he wouldn't meet my eyes. "What the hell is happening, Pete? Tell me, please, no one else will,"I said. He seemed conflicted internally for a moment but decided he must bear the bad news. "Your dad has been in a coma. He keeps falling into cardiac arrest. Ryan and Meg are upstairs with Sarah now,"he said.

My eyes instantly welled with tears and I looked away while I tried to blink them away. Pete sat on the side of the bed that Ryan vacated. "C'mere, kid,"he said and gently pulled me into his arms. I let out a loud and ugly sob. "Hey, hey, Ry Row, it'll be okay. He's gonna be fine, he's Brendon Fucking Urie,"Pete said. I continued to cry. "What's gonna happen to us?"I cried. "You guys are gonna be fine,"Pete assured me.

My cries began to quiet down as I took in shaky deep breaths. "How do you know?"I sniffled. "I know because your dad is tough as hell. He's a fighter, he won't leave you,"Pete said. I hugged him tightly. "Get some rest. It won't do either of you any good for you to keep stressing,"he said. I nodded in response. He helped me to lay back down comfortably and settled in beside me.

"Hey, Pete-za, can you sing for me?"I asked weakly. My eyes were already feeling heavy, probably an effect of the drugs. "Sure thing,"he said and with a voice like honey, he sang me to sleep.

Brendon
The light grew a little brighter as the pressure stopped. I could hear my wife screaming in the hall. They were muffled now and I heard a quiet, soothing voice like Meagan Camper's. I wanted nothing more but to comfort her. The beeping was gone, there was just silence. Another voice cut through the silence. Ryan Ross? I wonder how he knew to come. Footsteps were walking away now.

Just as suddenly as the light appeared, it disappeared in rapid succession. A beeping filled the room again but not the straight, flat tone. It was a steady beep, almost like a metronome. One set of footsteps began turning back and then there were more and some shouting.

"How did this happen?"Sarah yelled as she entered and I felt her grab my hand. "The epi must have had a delayed effect. We'll have to monitor him closely,"someone said then there was silence besides the beeping and Sarah's weeping.

I started to fight against the force holding my eyelids closed. "No, let me out of here!"I screamed in my head. I felt as if I was a trapped prisoner in my own body. "Brendon?"Sarah asked. I tried again and managed to blink away the darkness. I was met by bright fluorescents. I started blinking. "Brendon!"Sarah shouted. I blinked my eyes to clear the bleariness away.

She released my hand to run to the door and call a nurse. Someone came running as she returned to my side and grabbed my hand. "Can we cut the lights back a little?"Sarah asked eagerly. "Sure thing,"a female voice said. It wasn't as bright and I opened my eyes to look at my beautiful wife.

"Mr. Urie, please don't try to talk yet. There's a tube in your mouth that was helping you to breathe. A doctor is on their way to remove it,"a nurse said as she appeared in my view and shined a bright penlight into my pupils. I was trying to cooperate but I didn't like the feeling of the thing in my mouth and throat. It was forcing air into me and I felt as if I was choking. The doctor arrived moments later.

It was a little painful as he pulled the tube out but the relief was bittersweet. I was able to suck in a deep breath and the pure air never felt better. "How are you doing, Mr. Urie? Any pain?"the doctor asked as he shined a light in my eyes again. "I'm okay. I'm not in pain at the moment,"I said. He nodded, scribbled something on my chart and walked out. "Oh my god! Brendon, I was so scared. Ryan found out first and he came to get me immediately,"Sarah said as she hugged me. I put my arm around her.

She pulled away and I realized she was crying. She wiped away a couple tears. "Are you okay?"I asked nervously. "Yeah, I'm just so glad that you're okay,"she replied. "How's Ryleigh?"I asked. "She'll live. She broke her leg in three places. They had to take her in to set the bones so she'll be in a cast for the next four months. She broke a couple ribs and has a mild concussion,"Sarah said. I nodded.

"Who's with her?"I asked. "Ryan was and then you coded so he came running for me and Pete ran in with her. They've been taking turns. It's kind of a secret mission because they have to sneak in and out. It's not technically visiting hours. Everyone else is in the waiting room,"she said. I nodded again and my eyelids started to droop. It must be the meds. "Get some rest,"she said. I pulled on her hand and she joined me. She laid her head on my chest to listen to my heart. I put an arm around her and then I slept. I was grateful that we both made it through this in the end.