One Man Army

Ryleigh
I wasn't as out of it when I woke up again. Dallon was next to me this time. "Hey, Ry?"he said and stood to kiss my forehead. "How're you feeling?"he asked. "I'm okay, how's dad? Where's Pete?"I asked. "He's awake and doing a bit better. They want to keep him for 2 weeks to make sure he recovers okay. Pete had to go by his house. We all decided to take turns since they don't want us to crowd you all at one time,"Dallon explained. 

I turned away after he explained. I examined the wall next to me. It was white and bare. Standard hospital design. My leg was still held up in one of those pole things. I had a soft cast at the moment. I took the time to look at my leg. "Have the doctors told you what's next for my leg?"I asked as I looked at it curiously. "You'll get the stitches out this afternoon and a hard cast put on then you'll get discharged under our care. We told Sarah we would take turns so you could leave the hospital,"Dallon said.

I nodded. "You might need to have a skin graft done. They aren't sure yet. When you broke it, one of the bones came straight out and through the skin. You'll definitely need physical therapy,"Dallon added. I didn't respond. "Are you doing okay?"Dallon asked. "Yeah, I'm fine,"I said and faced the wall. "Are you ready to get out of here?"Dallon asked. "Yes, please,"I whispered.

I wanted to know how dad was so I was hoping that they would take me to see him before I went to wherever I was staying. Dallon returned minutes later with my doctor in tow. "Good morning, Ryleigh. How are you feeling?"she asked cheerfully. "I'm okay. I just want to go home,"I said and plastered a fake smile on my face. She took the bait. "I understand. I'm going to take a quick look at your ribs and leg then we'll have to do a CT scan before you're good to go, okay?"she said, talking to me as if I was a little kid who had a small scratch from falling off a bicycle.

I hated when people talked down to me like that. I simply nodded and she took that as a go ahead. A nurse came in to assist her and they began unwrapping the soft cast on my leg. I gasped at what I saw. My leg had angry red marks on it and was bruised thoroughly throughout. There was a long line of stitches where I knew it would scar over.

Dallon grabbed my hand and squeezed. He'd known this would be difficult. He probably had a similar reaction when he saw his side after he was shot. I held in my short cry of pain when she ran her gloved finger down the cut. "It's healing nicely. I think we are safe to take the stitches out and then tomorrow someone will have to take you to the clinic to check it and put a hard cast on. It can be  overwhelming, I know,"she said with a sympathy glance.

That was another thing I hated. People who sympathized and pitied me only because something unmentionable just happened to my family and I. She prepped a long needle for a shot she would inject into my leg. I barely felt the pinch as she entered it. My leg went numb in a matter of seconds. She and the nurse set to work by taking the stitches out. Dallon tried to distract me as I watched them and stared at my leg that would probably never be normal again. I wanted to cry but I couldn't. I was so angry that this happened. Why did that driver have to come through the stoplight as we were going through? I would never understand.

When they were done, the nurse walked out for a moment then returned. They recasted my leg then helped me to stand. It was awkward finding balance. The cast went from my foot up to my mid thigh. It felt extra heavy and I had to find balance on one foot since I didn't want to injure myself further. It was still numb. She said it would wear off soon. Dallon stood at my side, ready to catch me if I fall. The nurse raised the gown up and I could see my reflection in the small mirror over the small sink in the room. I gasped a little. I took a brutal beating.

My chest was black and blue. There wasn't a spot to be seen that wasn't. It would fade in time but it looked terrible. The doctor poked and probed. Every time I wanted to tell her off I bit my tongue. It hurt. How would she like for someone to go poking and feeling deep bruises? For a moment, I wanted her to feel a taste of her own medicine but knew she was trying to help as she was told. If I tried anything then I knew I would never get out of here.

They helped me to sit down on the bed. "If you want to change, we will be right back with a wheelchair to take you to the scan,"she said. I nodded and then they were gone. "You okay, Ry?"Dallon asked, concerned. "Fine,"I replied. In reality, everything was not fine and I wasn't sure it ever would be again. 

"I stopped by your house on the way here and grabbed you some clothes,"Dallon said and revealed a small duffel bag behind his chair. "I didn't know what you wanted so I grabbed something comfortable,"he added and handed me the bag. I pulled out a sports bra, sweatpants and a long sleeved Fall Out Boy shirt. It was representing Mania which I figured was their newest album they were working on. "Patrick sent the shirt. It isn't available anywhere, yet. The album isn't near ready to release so they're trying to keep it under wraps,"Dallon added. I nodded.

"Do you want help?"he asked awkwardly and trailed off. "Can you turn around?"I asked. He nodded and faced the opposite wall. I unbuttoned the back of the gown and put the sports bra on. The shirt came next. It was big and loose but quite comfortable. I was trying to figure out how to get my pants on. "You done?"he asked. "No, but I might need help with the pants,"I spoke frustrated. "I'll help,"he said and was at my side in a second. He helped me to slide the pants over my cast. It was a little tight but worked all the same. "Thanks,"I mumbled. The doctor returned. "Ready?"she asked with a smile. I nodded and faked a smile. Time to get out of this hellhole of a hospital.