Song For Isabelle

Ryleigh
I hated relying on help. I wished everything would just stop. She propped my leg up on one of the foot pads with a pillow beneath it then began rolling me down the hall. I stayed silent. Dallon walked alongside us though I told him that he could stay in my room to wait. Mom has been in and out. Most times I've missed her because I was asleep.

We stopped at a door and Dallon opened it so she could push me through. Inside, she and a nurse lifted me onto the bed thing that would move me into the machine. They walked out and through a door. They were on the other side of a glass wall. "Okay, Ryleigh, I wanna make this quick for you. You have to stay completely still so we have clear scans and then you'll be free to go home,"the doctor said through a microphone. I gave her a thumbs up and she moved me back.

There was a whirring noise that almost made my head hurt. I closed my eyes and didn't dare move a muscle. I wanted this over with. I must've fallen asleep. I didn't wake up until I felt the bed thing moving me out. I blinked my eyes open. The doctor, nurse, and Dallon entered.

"You did great! The scans were clear so I'm going to take you to your room so I can get discharge forms then you're free to go,"the doctor chirped happily. I nodded. "If you want, I can wheel Ryleigh back to her room so you can get the forms. It would speed things up,"Dallon said. I looked at him wide eyed as I tried to figure out what he was planning.

"Are you sure, Mr. Weekes?"she asked. "Yes, ma'am,"He answered politely. "I'll be there in a few minutes,"she replied and left. Dallon grabbed the handles of my wheelchair and pushed it really slow like the doctor was. It only took me a few moments to realize he was picking up speed. "Dall, what are you doing?"I asked worriedly. "Just hang on,"he replied. I gripped tightly to armrests and squeezed my eyes shut. I was tilted backwards and opened them. Dallon was practically running now and had me doing wheelies in the corridor.

"Dall!"I squealed. I was laughing by then. A nurse gave us an evil glare. "Sir!"she yelled but Dallon rushed past. I felt so carefree and happy. Dallon was laughing too. He came to a stop at my room. We acted like it was normal and the doctor returned moments later. She handed a packet of papers over to Dallon.

"I need you to sign here, here and here. Oh and initial here!"she said and pointed to each place. Dallon did as she asked. "Make sure she gets plenty of rest. Keep that leg elevated as much as possible but you are allowed to move now just try to keep it at a minimum. I have a prescription for some pain meds for her. You'll be taking a wheelchair and crutches with you. In the packet I gave you is some symptoms to watch for. If they happen come in immediately. Any questions?"she asked. I shook my head no and Dallon did the same. "Very well. I have rounds to do, you're free to go. Take care, Ms. Urie,"she said.

We waited a few moments after she was gone. "Well, can I go see dad now?"I asked. "Ry, I'm not sure that's a good idea. What if you come back in a few days? You heard her say to rest and he's probably resting himself. He's had a rough week and needs sleep when he can get it,"Dallon replied. "Can we go up? If he's asleep, I don't need to go in. Pretty please,"I begged with puppy dog eyes. "Fine,"he said and grabbed my bag. He handed it to me and I sat it on my lap as he pushed me out into the corridor.

We got into an elevator and he calmly took me upstairs. Dad was asleep but mom saw me and came out to talk to me. "Hey, babygirl, how are you feeling?"she asked as she hugged me to her despite the wheelchair. I shrugged and hugged her back. "I'm so sorry I wasn't there for you and I'm sorry I can't be there right now and you have to stay with friends and family,"Mom rambled.

"It's okay, Mom. I'm just glad that we both made it out okay. Dad needs you more right now. I'll be fine,"I assured her with a smile that wasn't even close to real. I began to question my importance in this life. I knew I shouldn't but it was really damn hard when everything felt as though it was crashing down around me and drowning me every time I caught my breath.

"How is Dad? When can I see him?"I asked anxiously as I peeked through the glass and wished furthermore that I was the one in that bed and not him. He was so much more important to everyone. I was just a girl who wouldn't be remembered after she was long gone. I knew I was slowly but surely slipping back into my depression with no way out. I never got a break and I wanted everything to just stop.

"He's doing better. They just want to keep him for a couple weeks to monitor him and his heart to make sure he's really okay and to get him back up on his feet. He'll be fine. You can probably come back in a few days but I'll have to let you guys know,"Mom informed Dallon and I. I nodded and felt suddenly exhausted.

Mom said something but I could no longer hear her. I could feel an anxiety attack brewing. She hugged me and then turned to go back inside. She gave me a small, sad smile before sitting next to Dad and Dallon began to roll me away. He didn't notice the tears welling in my eyes and I hoped he never would.