Nineteen

Nineteen: Atomic Reaction

My hands searched through every dress on the rack, none of them appealing to me anymore than the last rack I searched. I didn't know if it was just this store, or if I was searching for a perfect dress that didn't exist.

I didn't have a set of strict guidelines for the dress. It just had to be long. The length was the only thing that I knew exactly what I wanted.

"What about this?" Haley's asks, pulling off a pink satin dress from the rack.

It's pretty and isn't top over the top for the event. It's a A line dress with a split up the thigh. Pretty, but pink isn't the most flattering color on me.

"Not too sure about the color," I say, making Haley huff as she hangs the dress back up.

When I told Haley about the event this weekend, she became so excited. The idea of old, rich men appealed to her desires for a sugar daddy. The look of disappointment when I told her it's invite only was tragic, and I felt bad for even mentioning it and getting her hopes up.

She had been a good sport about it, though. When I mentioned dress shopping, she quickly became the fashionista I needed.

"How many do we have in the dressing room?" She asks me.

"Three," I answer.

Haley groans loudly, continuing to look through the racks. The only sound that could be heard in the large dress shop was Haley's groans of annoyance and dresses being sorted through.

I guess since it's a school day young girls aren't here trying on dresses with their friends in preparation for prom. The upstairs is where the wedding dresses are, so if there were any brides searching for their perfect dress, Haley and I wouldn't even be seeing them.

"Did you hear that Anthony proposed?" Haley asks me.

"Wait? For real?" I ask.

"For real, for real. No joke," She clarifies.

I knew that Anthony had plans to propose to Kaitlyn, I just didn't know when exactly it was happening.

"Why didn't he tell me?" I ask, feeling a bit of betrayal from Anthony's lack of informing me.

"Probably because you don't come around anymore. No offense, but ever since Tyler's came in the picture, you've kind of blown everyone off," Haley tells me.

Had I? I couldn't help that the weekends were my only free times. I don't even think I've replied to any of their texts in the group message, which is very unlike me. Maybe I am the problem.

"Are they mad at me for it?" I ask her.

Haley shakes her head. "No, not mad. They miss you, but they can't be mad at you for living your life."

"You're right. I mean, I've only missed two get togethers consecutively. I'm usually always there," I try and justify.

"Oh!" Haley shouts. "I forgot to tell you. Evan told me that last Friday all Jace did was drink and talk about how much he wished you were here. Said that Jace was a complete wreck."

"So?" I brush it off.

I continue looking through the dresses, finding a emerald one that might make my eyes pop. I turn the price tag over and nearly faint at the price. Will definitely be passing on that one.