Thirty-One

Thirty-One: Confessions

I nervously rock back and forth on my heels as I watch Tom look over the photos I sent him and the files that I took. He examines each one individually, holding it up to look over every detail. He finally sets all the photos down and looks at me, a stern look on his face.

I start to grow even more nervous, afraid I accomplished nothing at all and broke into a house to come out with nothing. Hell, I even paid Cassidy money to sleep with a stranger. If I walked away empty handed I would look and feel like a fool.

The edges of Tom's lips turn upwards, and a smile is placed on his face.

"Good job, Octavia," he says for the first time since this case has began.

"You mean we got them?" I ask, growing excited.

"No, not yet. This is enough to get a search warrant from the court. We'll have a search conducted sometime this week and hopefully we'll find something to arrest them both for," Tom answers back.

It isn't the answer I wanted to hear, but it's good enough. I finally can get some sleep at night knowing I've accomplished something. Not just something, something big. I may have finally gotten enough information to end this once and for all.

Five families will obtain justice. The citizens of Madison will feel safe again. Tyler will be proven innocent. A horrible man like Kensley will be exposed for what he is.

But most importantly, I can come clean to Tyler. I can be honest with him and tell him everything I've been doing. I don't have to lie to him anymore. No more secrets.

"I'm going to bring that Lewis boy in for questioning too. I think after this goes down, if Kensley did orchestrate this crime, Lewis will have some answers and his cooperation might earn him some help with his father," Tom says, making me light up.

I remember my promise to Lewis to help him out and get him out of his contract with Kensley. He would need any help he can get to help his father out. Even if he annoyed me when we first met, he gave me the information that led me to Nathan's house.

I owe him a big thank you for that.

"Now, what's this I hear about Kensley threatening you?" Tom asks.

I draw my eyebrows together, confused at how he knew about that. I only told Jace about it and Haley knew about the note in the box, but that's it.

"My officer down stairs is very taken with you. Do you really think he was going to keep it to himself?" Tom says, practically reading my mind.

Of course it was Jace.

"Don't be mad. He only did what you should have done," Tom points out.

I sigh. He's right. I should have came to Tom the second Kensley threatened me the first time. If I did, maybe the pictures of me would have never been taken. Maybe I wouldn't have been followed at the mall.

I don't know what Tom would have done, but he would have done something. Tom Sheldon does not mess around.

"He said not to tell anyone," I explain, hoping Tom would understand my silence on the topic.

"You told Jace. Once you tell one person you might as well tell everyone because it's going to get out," he informs me.

I wish I would have listened to that in my high school days. Much less drama would have occurred.