Twenty-Three

Twenty-Three: Polaroids

It has been five days. Five days since one of the most chaotic days of my life. Five days since I went to the Gala. Five days since Tyler's house was broken into. Five days since Tyler told me about his dark past. Five days since I realized I am in love with him. Five days since Jace and Kristen broke up.

Never have I felt more drained in my life. Between work, spending time with Tyler, and comforting Jace, I have hardly had any time to sit and breathe.

Sunday I spent all day with Jace, making sure he was okay and could handle being on his own. I helped him get a few of his things from their apartment, and I rode with him to his mom's house. I even went and spoke to the landlord about him renting an apartment in the same building I live in.

Monday was spent working. I had to report to Tom every single detail about the gala. I hoped that the details I gave him would be enough to keep him calm and off my back, but I should have know it wasn't enough.

After giving the details about Tyler's childhood - even though I didn't want to disclose the information - Tom convinced himself that Tyler is not mentally healthy and that he must have been involved in the murders at Joeli's.

It took a lot of explaining to do to make him understand that just because someone experiences a trauma does not make them a sociopath. That led to me explaining every sign and symptom of a sociopath and eliminating Tyler from the category.

That didn't mean I was off the hook, though. People are still talking about the murders. Family and Friends are searching for closure, and many citizens of Madison fear for their life every time they are out.

I wanted so badly to give that to them, but I still did not know who the killer is. I have my assumptions that it may be one of Tyler's business associates, thirsty for revenge for not getting their money from Joeli.

I also had my assumptions that maybe Tyler did do it after all. He would have had a motive, and he has no proof of an alibi. He told me he was at home that day, but nobody can comform that.

There's also the possibility that Tom and I are completely going in the wrong direction with this, which is why there is actual detectives following up on different leads. I'm just one of many people thrown into the investigation, trying to bring this city some justice.

Tuesday and Wednesday was spent working as well. Though, after work I spent time with Jace at the gym. I think the exercise makes him forget about Kristen. It keeps him distracted from thinking about her, and the emotions he does feel only motivates him to work harder.

I worry about him, but I think he's going to be alright.

I haven't seen Tyler since I left his house Saturday night. I felt bad for abandoning him, but I was torn between him and Jace. In the end, I knew in that moment that Jace needed me more.

Tyler assured me that it was okay and that I should be there for my friends. I've barely even had time to speak to him. He's been working closely with Pinstripe and Navy, and I don't know how I feel about it. I definitely don't trust them, and I worry that they're controlling Tyler a little too much.

"Is Jace coming over again or do I finally get to walk around the house without pants on?" Haley huffs, plopping down on the couch beside me with a big thud.

"You literally wear a shirt that comes down to your knees. I don't get why you even bother putting pants on in the first place," I interject.

Haley pouts and crosses her legs on the couch, pulling her parachute sized shirt over her legs.

"They're comfy," she pouts.