Twenty-Seven

Twenty-Seven: Family Fun

I didn't expect to feel as nervous as I am right now. Sure, I knew meeting his family is a big deal and that it is a step forward in our relationship, but I had went over and over in my head what I would say and how I would act.

The fact that they're all very wealthy worries me. I feel like I'm about to walk into sole sort of dynasty where they all plan their outfits according to each other and only speak about their rich life styles.

Along with them being wealthier people, I worry about my southern upbringing. There's a great possibility they will comment on my accent or ask me if I have slept with one of my cousins, something everybody in the north loves to assume about southern people.

Tyler has assured me that they're all chill and that they will adore me, but I have convinced myself that's what he has to tell me as my boyfriend. Sort of like how you have to tell someone it will get better, even if you don't know. That's what Tyler has to do, he has to tell me everything will be fine even though there's a chance it won't be.

As a psychologist, you would think I would have found some healthy coping methods to keep my anxiety low, but instead I just over think and chip my nail polish off. It's no wonder Tom has me out here doing undercover work instead of my actual job.

"Are you still nervous?" Tyler asks me, eyes still focused on the long stretch of road ahead of us.

"If they don't like me are you going to leave me?" I ask, realizing how stupid I'm being as soon as the question leaves my lips.

"You're being stupid," he answers back, conforming my thoughts. "It would take a lot more than my family not liking you to get me to even consider that."

"You need to meet my parents. They're something else," I say, imagining how my parents would react if I brought a boy home.

Not a boy, a whole ass man. A whole ass man who is a top suspect for a multiple homicide and also happens to be a millionaire.

"Is your dad going to threaten me?" He laughs.

"Dad is going to threaten you for just being with me in general. My mom is going to threaten you about getting me pregnant," I inform him.

"Is your mom eager for grandkids?" He asks.

"The opposite. She hates kids and doesn't want grandkids at all. Says she just wants granddogs," I answer, making him laugh.

It isn't too long before Tyler let's me know we are almost there. I'm shocked to see a drive way longer than the road I grew up on. It's aligned with leafless trees on both sides of the road.

When the house is finally in sight, I nearly drop my jaw at the sight of it. A large, colonial styled house with at least a dozen windows on the front side. The door is in the center, painted a deep red color to stand out from the white brick.

While this house is a much older build than Tyler's, the size difference it very noticeable.

Tyler parks the car in front of the circular drive path, putting us right in front of the door. As soon as I open my car door, an older woman rushed out the front door and rushed to Tyler, pulling him into a big hug.

"You've kept me waiting too long, young man!" She chirps at him before pressing a kiss to each sides of his cheeks.

"Sorry, Grandma," He says to her, a wide smile on his lips. "This is Octavia, the girl I have been telling you about," He says to her before pointing in my direction.