Twenty-Six

Twenty-Six: Alcohol & Agains

Lewis and I stand side by side, laughing at a joke he had just made. I wouldn't consider him a friend, but I enjoyed his company. The elevator door opens and I depart him, leaving him with a goodbye and thank you as I walk back to the hotel room.

I didn't expect for us to be out as long as we were. Once he started opening up to me more about Kensley, it's like the questions couldn't stop coming out.

Kensley owns hotels. Lots of hotels. It surprised me he didn't name them after himself, like most entrepreneurs do. I had always wondered what his deal was and how he had the money he did.

I also found out more details about Nathan Newsome, and how he use to be a police officer before he started working for Kensley. I made it a note to ask Jace if he worked for the Madison Police Department before, or if it was somewhere else.

I slide my key card into the scanner and wait for the light to turn green before I push the door open. When I walk in, the lights are on, letting me know Tyler must be finished with his meetings for now.

"Tyler?" I call out, stepping into the large hotel suite.

I walk through the entry way and out into the living area, spotting a man looking out the large windows that stare at downtown. When he turns around, I feel my blood run cold at who's here.

"Mr. Kensley, What can I do for you?" I ask him, my voice shaky.

Kensley shoves his hands into his pockets and rocks back and forth on his feet. He has an arrogant smirk on his face, one that would usually make me shiver if I wasn't so focused on keeping myself composed.

"More like what can I do for you, Octavia? From what I have been told, you lied to my servicemen and have been missing for hours with one of them. What is it that you are up to?" He asks, coming closer to me.

"I just needed someone to take me to Taco Bell. I requested Lewis because I wanted someone to talk to while Tyler was busy. I'm sorry for lying. I just didn't know what else to do," I lie.

I can tell by the look on Kensley's face that he doesn't believe me at all. Why should he? He knows Tyler had rented us a car and he knows that I probably have never had a real conversation with Lewis before.

"You know, Tyler tells me you're a psychologist. You would think with how good people of that profession are at manipulating that you could lie a bit better," he comments.

He wasn't wrong, it was a shit lie. There wasn't really a way I could get out of it.

"It doesn't matter if I'm lying or not. Lewis wasn't busy. You had all kinds of other workers waiting on you. You were fine," I say quite boldly.

Kensley chuckles and turns around. He walks over to the serving cart that was pressed against the back of the sectional. I don't make a move as I watch him grab the bottle of whiskey and pout it into a glass.

"Tyler's quite taken with you. Wasn't sure if it was serious at first, but I can tell from how protective he is over you that it has to be real. He cares too much for others, which will ruin him in the end," He says before downing the drink.

Kensley moves around to sit on the couch and then motions for me to do the same. I do as instructed, not wanting to get on his bad side any more than I already have.

"There's nothing wrong with showing some empathy," I defend.

"In this business there is. It benefits me, though. Having business partners I can manipulate is a privilege these days," he confesses.