Twenty-Two

Twenty-Two: You and Me

The sides of my fist pound on the door in front of me, making loud thudding sounds vibrate off of it. I continue pounding, knowing that he is in there and can hear me. It doesn't matter what time it is, I know he's awake and I know he's in there.

"Open the door!" I shout, probably looking like a mad woman.

I'm thankful for it being nearly two in the morning, otherwise I would have some explaining to do to the neighbors for my frantic actions. Though, if I get any louder I may have explaining to do to the police.

They can call the police on me. It won't do much.

I hear the lock turning and the click of the bolt, meaning someone was on the other side. I put my arms down and step away, waiting for the door to open. When it does finally open, I'm left disappointed when I see it isn't Jace at the door.

"Do you have any idea what time it is?" Caleb asks, his voice groggy as if I woke him up.

"Jace," I say, not being able to form actual sentences at the moment.

"Octavia," Caleb says, his voice trailing at the end. "I really don't think this is a good time."

He is here.

I don't say anything. Instead, I push past Caleb, coming inside his house without being invited. I don't care if Caleb didn't want me here right now. I need to make sure Jace is okay.

"What is she doing here?" A female voice says, stopping me in my tracks.

I turn to where I heard the voice, seeing a woman standing at the bottom of the stairs, her body wrapped tight in a silk robe.

With a black bob hair cut and porcelain skin, I knew this had to be the girl Evan was talking about yesterday at Atomic; Caleb's new girlfriend. From what I have heard, she's apparently as annoying as Caleb.

I don't say anything. I continue to stare her down, analyzing her.

"This is Octavia," Caleb answers for me.

Her face changes from one of annoyance to one of surprise.

"Octavia," she repeats. "I'm Kora."

"Nice to meet you," I force out.

Is she really trying to do introductions when Jace is somewhere in this house probably heartbroken and upset?

"He's in the guest room. Upstairs. Last door on the right," She says, her voice settling down into a more serious tone.

I nod and hurry up the stairs, hearing Caleb and Kora continue to talk from down stairs.

"Do you really think that's the best idea?" I hear Caleb ask, sounding frustrated.

"He's been asking for her."

Asking for me.

I ignore their conversation and hurriedly make my way down the hall, pausing when I get to the last door on the right.

I started to panic and rethought my whole plan - which was to run in and bombarder him with questions.

Haley didn't get to tell me much on the phone. From what I heard, he told Will, who told Haley, who told me that they had broken up and that Kristen kicked him out of their apartment. Will said he went to Caleb's a few hours later.