Chapter eleven: Daniel

Daniel started to wonder if it had been such a good idea to tell them that he did it alone. Because both Ellie and Gemma rounded in on him like angry hungry she wolves. Luckily, for him Kim held Ellie close, so she couldn't do anything. However, she still looked scary as fuck, and yet somehow there was something extremely cute over her when she was like that. Both Lesley and Cody chose that moment to walk into the kitchen while the two of them yelled at him, "Whoa. Did you guys have an orgy without me?" Lesley asked. Cody hit him over the head "Keep it down, your moron. I think the Dolphin is on a murder spree." Ignoring Lesley's next comment, he asked, "What's going on?" Gemma turned to her, "This fucking moron went out to kill four ZOMBIES with only a fucking BASEBALL BAT! ALONE." Ellie and Gemma yelled the last part in perfect sync. They looked at each other and high-fived. Only to turn back to them.

Daniel rolled his eyes, "What's the big deal?" He asked. "What's the big deal, what's the big deal?" Ellie asked. Her voice turning shrill "YOU COULD HAVE GOTTEN BITTEN!" She strained against Kim's hold in order to get to Daniel. Most likely to give him a fist in the face. Kim whispered something in her ear that made her stop fighting against his hold and her face go slack with shock. Gemma stared in wonder, and Daniel sighed in relief. He would get to live another day.

Later Lesley, Cody, Henrik and he dragged the dead bodies out of the barn to a dry place on the fields, right where the little girl lay in a pool of her own blood and brain goo. They had some fuel with them that they poured over the already rotting corpses. "Why don't we bury them?" Henrik asked. Daniel looked at him, "Because it's better to burn them. That way we'll kill the virus, and there will be a less chance that it could transfer through crops and to us later on. In addition, we should wait with burning them until the morning. Fire will only attract more now." He looked up at the darkening sky. " Let's get back." Cody said. Together in silence, they walked back to the house. All curtains pulled tightly together so no light seeped through. Inside were almost darker than outside, due to the lack of lights. Only a candle burned in the kitchen were Gemma, Ellie, Kim and Joachim sat. Not a single word spoken between them.

There weren't enough chairs for them all, so Ellie gave up her chair to Cody and sat on Kim's lap. Daniel knew why she did it. He shook his head jealous. They all sat in silence gathered around the candle light. Cody were the first one to break the silence. "What do we go tomorrow?" He asked. "First we go towards higher ground. From there on we'll try and make our way towards the sea." In some drawer, they found three old card decks and started to play go fish. As it turned out even with this many people, Ellie still managed to best them all and pull the victory in almost every game. It's rare that Daniel see such a smug look on her face, but when it comes to card games, she's like some invisible unstoppable force. She rarely lost, and held the best poker face along with Lesley. However, Lesley had a bad habit of letting them know when he got something good, whereas Ellie loved to tease and mislead them.

The clock ticked by and the dark outside got heavier with screeches and howling. Around 11Pm they something started hammering on the door. They all jumped in their seats and dropped their cards. Daniel looked at Ellie's cards and held back a groan. She'd won the round again. "SOMEBODY HELP ME!" they all stared at each other. Daniel got out of his seat and slowly inched towards the door. He looked through the spy hole, a girl around the age of 20 stood outside the door hammering on it. Her eyes were wild. Ellie shoved him aside silently and looked through it herself. She shook her head, "Please help me..." She pleaded her voice getting weaker. "I've been bitten and need help." Ellie shook her head furiously. "We can't let her in." She whispered. Daniel shook his head agreeing. "Let's barricade the door. Henrik and Cody lift that desk and move it in front of the door." He said "And do it quietly." Ellie added. Outside the girl kept hammering on the door pleading for help. "Why aren't we letting her in? She needs help." Both Ellie and Daniel turned around and faced Joachim who had asked the question.

He took a step back, "Because she's" "Bitten" "IF we let her in..." "We put ourselves in danger." "She'll turn and then bite us. Or at try and eat us while we scream our heads off in pain." Daniel and Ellie talked in perfect sync like a pair of twins. They moved out of the way so Henrik and Cody could place the desk in front of the door. "Who's taking the first watch?" Ellie asked looking around. Gemma raised her hand. "I'll take it." She nodded, "Henrik you take the second, Joachim you take the third and I'll take the fourth. If anything at all happen you wake the rest of us all."

There were five bedrooms in the house, two with double beds, one with a bunk bed and two with twin beds. "At least there's enough beds." Gemma said, "I'll take one of the room with twin beds." She said walking back down the stairs to take her watch. "Daniel, you'll take a room with Cody, Lesley, you'll take the one with bunk beds, and share when Joachim need sleep, Henrik you take the room with Gemma." Ellie pointed them to their rooms as they all stood in the hallway except for Gemma.

Daniel walked into the other room with twin beds along with Cody and dumped his bag on the bed closest to the window. "I wonder what Kim whispered in her ear." Cody said looking through the curtains down at the large gravel driveway where the girl stood hammering on their door. Daniel joined him. He spotted right away, where she'd been bitten. "Her shoulder barely holds on." He said. Cody shrugged in response, "What do you think he told Ellie?" Cody asked again. Daniel stepped away from the curtain as the girl looked up. "Dunno, but it was enough to make her calm down and forget about what she was doing." They stood in silence for a while. "Right now I really wish I could be Kim." Cody muttered sitting down on a bed. "There's not really much we can do about it. She likes him, and that's that. We all know how she feels about us." Daniel laid down in the other bed and closed his eyes. "Now we should get some sleep, and the best we can do is try and forget about the feelings we got for Ellie."