Chapter forty: Daniel

Daniel was not a happy costumer as they stumbled upon a painted message on a car. He knew whom it was from, it was a relief to know that Ellie had gotten out of the city alive, but it annoyed him that Joachim had too. He had prayed to every god he could name that he wouldn't make it. Of course, even the gods are against him. That little annoying boy, also called Gordon was adoring Stella, the new addition to the group. As it turned out, she liked the little shitty brat. He was wondering why he got stuck with Ellie's brother, and not some of the others. At least then he wouldn't have to worry about a kid who annoy the living shit out of him 24/7. Stella wasn't so bad, she let the kid know who was in charge, but she never had to do anything for Gordon to listen to her. 

At first, he seemed to do what Daniel told him to do, but now he hardly even listened to him. Gordon did as he pleased, and pretty much only listened to Stella. Maybe because he saw her as a "potential" big sister if Ellie didn't show again. After Gordon asked the millionth question that day, he finally snapped and smashed his hand through a car window. "SHUT UP!" He roared glaring at the kid. Gordon stared in shocked silence, Stella narrowed her eyes at him, and the way she did it reminded him of Ellie. That made him even angrier, Ellie. The girl he'd had a crush on, who completely friend zoned him, and had a hard-core crush on some kid that wasn't even that attractive. Finally, she started talking to him and from there on it escalated quickly. They didn't even look cute together. Daniel thought bitterly. "Hey did you even hear what I said?" Stella asked annoyed poking his forehead. He growled and hit her hand away, "Of course." He said walking briskly ahead. 

Gordon and Stella followed him. At least he was still in charge. It was the first rain free day, it was even sunny, with a bright forget me not blue sky, no clouds in sight and it was hot. Maybe that was the trigger of his extreme mood, all Daniel wanted more than anything was to sit in his dark room, and play video games while the sun outside didn't touch him. He probably made far too much noise, but he didn't care. He felt as if the whole world was against him, it probably was, if it didn't want to have him for a nice little afternoon snack. "Can you stop making so much noise?" Stella asked in an angry hiss. "I can fucking make all the noise I want!" He growled back. Stella glared at him, "Fine, if you want to be the dead people's lunch, then be my guest, but you are not dragging Gordon and I into it. We'll follow these signs without you." She said dragging Gordon after her. "FINE! Do as you like, I don't care!" He yelled after them. She probably wouldn't leave him, anyway. 

He watched as Stella yanked open the door of a car and checked it before ushering Gordon into it. She started it and took off leaving Daniel behind. He could hardly believe his own eyes. They left him they just left him. The shock turned into anger and he stomped along searching for a car he could use. Oddly enough, when you think about all the cars abandoned it was surprisingly few that was manageable and didn't have nasty rotting people hidden inside them. Daniel didn't know where he was going, and he stopped following Ellie's small clues long ago, his anger still burning inside him. Although, it was slowly fading, giving away for guilt. He hadn't been very nice towards Gordon and that girl Stella, and now she just up and left him after little time with him. It made him wonder if it was his fault.