Chapter twenty-five: Ellie

Ellie fought down the urge to get off the bike and throw up. In a way she knew it would be the end of her if she did. These people lying in front of them scattered and dead smelled worse than the one who'd crushed her, and she could have sworn she could feel the body fluids soak through her clothes again. She suppressed a shudder and asked, "Can we just keep going?" No one seemed to react, so she asked again. Gordon stuck his head out of the car and looked at her. Then he pointed ahead. Ellie had to lean to one side in order to get a look. On the other side of the roadblock was a closed off cage made of sturdy looking metal and behind the bars milled at least fifteen men and women in uniforms and at least a dozen other people. None of them alive, but it seemed like somebody had opened it recently, because towards the back was a couple of dead children who hadn't died long ago. Their bodies hadn't started to rot, but their wounds were a sickening green and didn't smell any better than the rest.

Slowly they started moving again, making an arch around the cage and town. In a way, it seemed odd and somewhat pointless to Ellie, that somebody would cage them like pets on a display show. They just keep spreading anyway. At least 80% of the human population must be infected with this virus. Beyond the help of anyone. After about an hour, they pulled to a slow stop. Up front was Daniel and Joachim, Cody and Gemma were still sitting in the car, they looked back at Ellie and gave her a confused look. Ellie watched as Daniel got off his bike. The scowl on his face told it all. "There's no way around the city. We'll have to go through it." Ellie pursed her lips. "There must be a way around it." She said.