Chapter sixty-four: Timothy

ran to the left flank followed by Mary both of them holding guns. Marlene ran past them dragging a large crate of their homemade firebombs. "Eaters." She grunted. "Mary go with Marlene, I'll go to help Grant and Ellie." Mary nodded and went to help Marlene drag the crate towards the other side of camp. Timothy ran towards where Ellie was, when he got there he couldn't see her anywhere. "Where's Ellie?" He asked Grant who was shooting at random into the mass charging out from behind all sorts of things. "Up on the roof." Just then, a bottle on fire sailed over his head, right before it landed on the ground it exploded as if somebody had shot it. "Who's with her?" He asked noticing that one of the red haired twins was missing. "Lewis or Anthony, I have no idea." They took aim and hit two who were nearing the defences. "How many are there?" Timothy asked baffled, as they seemed to keep shooting at them. The mass clusters stopped, as they would erupt in flames a second later. Seemed as though they weren't as stupid as they looked.

"How should I know?" Grant grunted kicking one back before shooting it through the head. "WATCH OUT!" Ellie yelled as a flaming bottle sailed straight towards them, it exploded just a metre away from where they stood, causing a larger group of eaters to scream and panic as the fire spread to their clothes and bodies. Timothy dived out of the way as one headed straight for where they stood. Just seconds later it exploded and several more caught fire. Slowly but surely the Eaters drew back and formed a tiny group forty metres away from the defence boarders. "Surrender and we won't eat you!" A deformed man stepped in front of his remaining group. "You're fewer than us." Timothy said stepping past the defences. "Timothy what the hell are you doing?" Grant hissed at him. "Shut up." Ellie hissed at him, she had jumped off the roof to follow Timothy past the defences. Grant didn't say another word as he watched the two of them. "We have more than you think!" The man called baring his ugly rotten teeth. Timothy could have sworn that he was able to smell him all the way, where he stood. "You are only a few standing!" Timothy didn't look behind him. "We're only a few here, yes. However, we are more, what you see, it's a faction of our people." Timothy said loudly. "We are armed." He said staring the man dead in the eye. "With those ickle guns? You will run out of bullets!" Timothy's face was blank as Ellie stepped up beside him. "Might be, but we have enough bullets to last years." Timothy said. Timothy did not know if there were enough firearms to last years, but he knew that they had more than plenty, to keep those beats at bay for a long time.

From across the camp a series of gunshots broke the silence, followed by a scream. Timothy hoped that the scream didn't come from one of their own. "Leave and we won't kill all of you." Ellie said in a loud clear voice. Despite the fact that Timothy knew she was shivering badly, he was impressed over how well she controlled her voice. The man took a step forwards and Ellie lifted her gun and pointed it straight at him. "Come closer and I'll shoot your head off." She snarled. The man froze and watched her for a moment before he began laughing. "You cannot shoot little ickle girl." He said. Timothy wanted to tell him to shut up, but Ellie beat him to it. "I can shoot, you foul little rotten cadaver." The man barred his teeth again in an amused snarl. "I'd like to see you hit me, the little princess can't even stop shaking. You are too scared." Timothy wanted to say something to make sure Ellie's anger wouldn't get the best of her.

Ellie lifted her gun once again, took aim and pulled the trigger. The man stopped laughing as he collapsed on the ground. He screamed in pain holding his leg. After a while of him screaming his friends surged forwards, helping him to stand. He snarled at Ellie who still had her gun raised, "Lucky! Lucky! Lucky!" He cried. Timothy had never seen Ellie, as she was right then. Her face was void of all emotions, her green eyes cold as ice and glittering like a snake before it pounced on its prey. "Lucky?" She asked her voice even, and icy like the frost hanging in the air. Timothy stood completely still not daring to move; all of a sudden, he was scared of his younger sister. "Yes, lucky!" The man stood still with the help of one of his friends, Timothy saw it in his eyes. He knew what Ellie could do, he knew what she would do, and he knew she was only waiting for a reason to blow his head off.

All of a sudden, Timothy remembered all the nights he and Ellie had spent at their grandparent's house, out in the garden. She would borrow their grandfather's old gun from when he had served in the military, to shoot random things she would scavenge around garden. "You, filthy little girl." The man said. Ellie shot him again, the bullet going straight through the middle of his shoulder. He screamed in pain. Timothy remembered Ellie cussing every time she wouldn't hit her target and she would try again and again until she hit bullseye. She did have not been allowed use real bullets back then, as their grandfather refused to buy them. Timothy realised just how good Ellie had become over the years because of this. "You will die, all of you will die, and you little girl, I will have the pleasure of ripping you to pieces first!" He let go of his friend and charged at them, but he was too slow and a bullet went straight through his head. Shock crossed his features before he fell onto the cold and frozen ground dead.

A roar went up amongst the now dead man's group and they charged. Ellie hardly moved as she fired shot after shot at them. "You're insane." Grant said as the last of the eaters stood only a few feet away from them. He was looking at Ellie who still had her gun raised, her breathing heavy. "I've been told that before." She said not looking at him. The few people still alive from the ground, turned and ran for their lives. Ellie lowered her gun and watched as the last of them disappeared. Snow had begun to fall around them. Greenish blood tainted the snow around the dead bodies, it looked like something taken from a film.