Chapter forty-nine: Cody

Cody leaned against the wall inside the room watching Bob play with some blankets. He wondered how it was possible for somebody who's grown up, to act like a three-year-old. He munched on his food as Gemma walked back into the room with Joachim and Anthony by the ears. Ellie and Kim a bit behind them. Ellie looked like something from a bad lobster film, her face was that red. Kim wasn't that red, but he sent Joachim a look that wasn't happy. "What did they do now?" Cody asked loudly. Ellie's eyes flashed at Gemma who had to stifle her laughter, "Nothing, just these two idiots that do not understand the word privacy." Cody's hand froze midway to his mouth as he stared. He had absolutely no idea what she was talking about, as far as he knew, Ellie and Kim had gone to sleep. Joachim opened his mouth but Ellie stomped on it, hard. He let out a yelp and started to jump around on one foot holding the other in his hands, using every cuss and profanity word he knew at Ellie.

Anthony was a smart cookie and kept his mouth shut and head down avoiding the cease of fire, but he did whisper with his brother. Stella didn't look confused at all; in fact, she was laughing silently as she watched Joachim nurse his foot. They didn't get to lay down any plan, since Ellie was too flustered to say much without stuttering and mumbling, every time Joachim tried to open his mouth and say something Ellie would give him the death stare, Joachim leaned away from Ellie looking scared out of his mind. Cody had to admit that he scooted a little further away from her fearing for his own life. The look in Ellie's eyes were downright murderous, in fact he'd never seen her look at anyone like that before. Sure he'd received several murderous looks from her they all had, mostly Joachim, but never one like the one she was giving him right then.

Gemma took a seat beside him watching Ellie and Kim like it was a very interesting TV show. "What's going on?" He whispered to her. Gemma looked over at him with a secretive smile, "If I told you Ellie would kill me." She said so Ellie wouldn't hear it. "But let's just say that Joachim and Anthony is in some serious trouble." Gemma looked more than pleased with that and Cody just stared at them completely and utterly confused. Joachim had pulled off his shoe and socks revealing a slightly swollen foot, Stella was looking at it still laughing. "How can you be so stupid?" She asked. Joachim scowled at her and gritted his teeth as she poked a spot. "I'm not stupid." He growled. "How should I know that...?" He trailed off as Kim cleared his throat and he noticed the look he was receiving from Ellie and Kim. It was pretty clear what it meant, shut up or we'll feed you to the munchies.

It seemed like that Cody was the only one not to get what was going on, so he just gave up and stretched out as he watched the sun go across the sky. By night fall they divided the nightly watches, Cody wasn't happy with being paired up with Joachim, but there wasn't much choice as Ellie and Gemma paired up, Henrik and Kim, and then Stella and Gordon got the night off as the twins took the last watch. "What did you do since Ellie looks like she's ready to kill you?" Cody asked as he and Joachim took their watch in the hallway. Joachim looked around clearly checking for any sign of Ellie or anyone else for that matter. The door into the room where the others were being open and a faint light from one of the candles, it cast an eerie glow over the hallway, causing the shadows to dance. "It's nothing." He muttered after a short pause. They didn't talk as they walked around the hallways covering the only visible entrance to the place. Soon Gemma and Ellie walked out of the room, they were talking in hushed voices and Cody couldn't make out what they were saying, but judging from Ellie's bright red cheeks it was a subject she did not wish to discuss.

"Shut up Gemma." Ellie grumbled as they reached Cody. "You can go and sleep now." She said not looking at either of them. Joachim was the first to disappear and after a small silence, Cody left too. "I wonder what's up with Ellie. She's been in a right mood ever since she came back from the camper." He muttered sitting down on the uncomfortable bed he'd have to sleep on that night. "Oh I love it when boys are stupid." A gleeful voice said startling Cody and Joachim. Cody saw that Stella was sitting up in her own bed, grinning slyly at them. For some reason it annoyed Cody. Joachim just muttered something and went to sleep. The rest was still fast asleep, "What?" Cody said crossing his arms. "What, what?" Stella answered her sly smile broadened. "You know what." Cody said. She let out a laugh and glanced over at Joachim who'd fallen asleep almost instantly. "Don't you see?" She asked in a quiet voice so she wouldn't wake the others. "See what?" Cody asked tired of being the only clueless person in the group. Stella looked at him as if she couldn't believe how clueless he was. "He's jealous." She said. "Who?" Cody didn't understand who she was talking about.

Stella rolled her eyes. "Joachim of course. Who else would be jealous around here?" she asked. Cody blinked at her. "Um why would he be jealous?" Stella groaned and face-palmed. "Is it possible?" She muttered under her breath. "Who would he be jealous at?" Cody asked. "Kim!" She said. Cody blinked more confused than when the conversation started. "Jeez, Ellie did say you were a tad slow." She shook her head. "He's jealous at Kim because..." She trailed off trying to make him take the hint, but Cody just stared blankly back at her. "Ellie." She said finally. "Why would he be jealous of Kim because of Ellie?" Stella looked like she wanted to strangle him. "Holy shit you're dimmer than I thought. Joachim likes Ellie." Cody stared at her at a loss for words. "Wait... what?" Cody asked his eyes turning the size of teacups. "Joachim likes Ellie?" He asked staring at Joachim's sleeping form not far from him. "You're kidding right? They hate each other." Cody said slowly. Stella laughed and laid back down. "Sweet baby Zeus. I don't think you've seen the way Joachim looks at Ellie." She let out a yawn and fell asleep.