Chapter sixty-three: Ellie

Kim sat down next to her putting his arm around her as they gathered around the fire. There had just been a change in guards and those who'd been outside all day patrolling now sat around the fire warming themselves. Mary leaned in and whispered in Ellie's ear, "I see trees of green." Ellie knew her face was burning as she was looking anywhere but at Kim. "Mary I swear to the gods..." Ellie hissed so no one would hear. "I will murder you in your sleep." Mary laughed and wriggled her eyebrows at Ellie. "Hey Kim." She said. Kim blinked and turned his head to look at her, "You know, Ellie... mph!" Ellie had slapped her hand over Mary's mouth to keep her from saying what she was about to say. Mary licked Ellie's hand, "EW!" Ellie said wiping her hand off on Mary's cheek. Mary started laughing so she was rolling on the floor and Ellie grumbled a few choice words at her best friend. "I'll be right back." Ellie whispered giving Kim a quick kiss on the cheek before standing up. She walked towards the door as she wrapped the blanket tighter around her shoulders.

The darkness had already settled around them and the ice-cold air slapped Ellie in the face like a thousand small needles. She looked up at the sky; it was a clear night and the stars twinkled beautifully. Silently Ellie wondered if everybody who'd died was up there looking down at the last few survivors betting on who will survive or not. Ellie had the absurd image of this being The Hunger Games and President Snow feeling especially evil towards the tributes. "Ellie you'll end up as a popsicle standing out here." Mary said joining her with two steaming mugs of what looked like hot chocolate with marshmallows. Ellie took one cup from her taking a long whiff of the liquid chocolate heaven in the cup. It brought back memories of all the times she'd been in their family's vacation house back home on rainy winter nights with hot chocolate, the fire crackling in the corner and a good film playing on the TV. It made Ellie sad to think about her grandparents and family in general. "So you and Kim, huh?" Mary asked teasingly nudging Ellie lightly. "Only took a zombie apocalypse for that to happen." They laughed and Ellie shook her head.

She pulled the blanket closer around her and stared at the sky again. "Zombie apocalypse." Ellie mused. "Never thought it was going to happen." Mary looked up at the sky too. "Neither did I, I always thought of it as something that only happened in science fiction books and films." Ellie looked back at her friend.

She hadn't realised just how much she had missed Mary, even if she teased Ellie to no end about her crush on Kim. She had been doing that for over two years now. Even if it was annoying, it felt good to have something of her old life back. "Now tell me everything!" Mary said excitedly. Ellie sipped the warm chocolate and burned her tongue. "Ow. Hot!" Mary laughed loudly. "You sure you want to know everything?" Ellie asked wriggling her eyebrows at Mary. Both of them laughed, "Yes I want to know everything. From the beginning, how did you end up with him and the two others?" Ellie was quiet for a little while trying to remember what had happened precisely it all seemed so long ago. Finally, Ellie told Mary what had happened since they had run from the school. She by purpose kept out some parts, as she didn't think Mary would ever stop teasing her about it. Mary listened quietly coming with small comments here and there to make Ellie blush.

"So he did like you!" Mary said loudly when Ellie had finished. Ellie groaned and covered her eyes with one hand dramatically. "Mary, don't. Please..." Mary poked Ellie's stomach and she let out a small shriek as she jumped away almost falling over in the process. "I told you so! I told you so!" Mary sang happily. "I knew I should have locked the two of you in a room." Ellie scowled. "Mary I swear I will kill..." "Me in my sleep?" Mary finished still grinning like a fool. "I know, I know. So..." Mary began, "Tell me have you done more than just kissing?" Ellie turned a shade brighter red as she instinctively put a hand on her stomach. Mary's eyes widened, "Oh my god Ellie! How big was it, was it like this, or this, maybe like this?" Mary said showing different lengths with her fingers. "Oh my gods Mary!" Ellie groaned. "What are you two talking about?" Grant asked appearing beside Ellie who jumped. "Nothing." Mary said happily. "Jeez whatever got you so happy must be good." He turned to Ellie as if expecting her to explain. Instead, Ellie looked down at the mug in her hands so red in the face it must've resembled Rudolph the reindeer's red nose and muttered a string of very serious crimes she'd do to somebody. "Did I miss the fun?" Henrik asked joining them. He was grinning from ear to ear, Ellie noticed that he had more colour in his cheeks than normally and was struggling slightly to keep his balance properly. "Are you drunk?" She asked her mouth hanging open.