Chapter forty-five: Daniel

Daniel liked being alone for once. He didn't have to worry about anybodyelse than himself, and there was so much more food, although, some companywould have been nice. At least on nights when he needed to sleep. He didn'tknow where his friends were, that bothered him a little, but at the same timehe didn't miss having Ellie nagging and question him all the time. Besides he'dstopped following the painted clues a while ago, he honestly couldn't bebothered to look for them. Even for Ellie it was a stupid idea, anyone couldfollow them and what would she do if some other group followed them? What wouldshe do if they weren't out to join forces? Daniel had a hard time imaginingEllie killing somebody alive. He shook his head and kept driving down the roadon his bike. He didn't bother with taking a car, it was too clumsy to getaround with, besides he liked the freedom of a bike racing down the mostlyempty roads. From time to time, he would come across a car speeding in theopposite direction, or somebody hiking along the road, but mostly it was justdead people wandering around turning around as he sped past. Either that or hewould take his bat and let it hit them in the head so hard it cracked, and thedeadling crumbled to lay in a heap for rotting. He even swore that he sometimessaw one of his friends hiking along the road.