Chapter fifty-two: Ellie

Nothing could have prepared Ellie for the smell that hit her when Stella wrenched open the door. "This is going to be fun..." Stella muttered and stepped inside carefully not to make a sound. All around them darkness spread like a blanket making it impossible to see very far. The only good thing Ellie could see was that there were no woods behind the building, but merely a road leading away from them and on either side of them was open fields where a harsh wind howled. "See you inside." Ellie muttered to Henrik and set off with Stella right behind her. They didn't talk, but Stella was right behind Ellie keeping an eye on the other road. Ellie's nose was twitching with the stench coming from all around them, "I can't see any bodies." She muttered casting a look around. "Might be the wind." Stella muttered back as they reached the door.

From the auto camper the others watched them closely, and the twins was patrolling around the auto camper. Ellie reached out for the door but paused as she saw something move just behind the grimy window of the bar. She grabbed a hold of Stella and pushed her hard against the wall as the door slowly slid open. A slightly disfigured figure limped out and the smell coming from it were enough to subdue an elephant. Ellie watched it carefully as it moved around, but when it didn't turn on them she frowned and watched it closer. The movements were clumsy and jerky, but it wasn't growling, or making any sign of having recognised them as possible prey. "Who's there?" Ellie clamped a hand over Stella's mouth as she let out a sound a little like a cornered mouse. From inside the house came a moan and something crashed. "I have told them to keep them under guard at all times!" The man or whatever he was lumbered into the building leaving the door open. Ellie and Stella looked at each other for a moment and then followed. Almost instantly, Ellie wished they hadn't. Inside smelled so bad her eyes stung, her nose twitched worse than ever and Ellie was sure that she could have cut through the air if she wanted to. There light in the room was off and a faint glow of light came from the back room.

Moving slowly and careful not to make a sound the two of them moved around separate sides of the room towards the door. Ellie reached it first and flattened herself against the wall as the door opened fully and a woman came into view. If you could call it a woman. Her body was disfigured and her skin looked as though somebody had tried to dye her skin vomit green, but had used too much in certain places. "You sure you heard somebody?" She asked turning around and Ellie caught a glimpse of her face. Ellie's intestines started to wring, Stella watched with mirroring horror. "Ferdinand tie her up! She'll get loose again; I want my dinner. We were lucky she crossed our path; there hasn't been any snackies for a while now. Only deadlings." From inside the room the man who'd opened the front door replied with a grunt and then suddenly a scream tore through the air bouncing off the walls along with the maniac crackling laughter from several people. Stella and Ellie didn't need to say a word as they hurried from the room and outside.

Stella and Ellie ran directly into Joachim and Henrik as the door slammed shut behind them. Something that must have alerted these people that they're there. The four of them tore across the gravel parking lot and towards the auto camper. They had only just reached the door when the front door of the building burst open and a file of six disfigured shapes came into view. "There, there!" A voice shrieked. "Cody get this thing started, NOW!" Stella cried dragging Lewis into the car. Ellie helped dragging Anthony in and slammed the door shut. "Now!" Ellie barked going directly for the window, the figures was moving towards them. The first of them reached the auto camper as Cody started the engine and pressed the speeder. Somebody fired a gun and Cody drove so fast past the building and back onto the road that everyone tumbled around inside. Ellie knocked heads with Joachim and fell backwards into one of the beds, landing on top of Kim. Soon Cody's driving stabilized and Ellie crawled out of the bed and staggered to the table rubbing her head. "What's your skull made of?" Joachim grumbled. Rubbing his bleeding nose, "Concrete." Ellie answered without thinking. "What happened?" Gemma asked loudly to be heard over Bob's loud wailing. Stella spoke before Ellie had the chance to open her mouth.