Chapter 4: Dylan and the First Day

"Hustle! Hustle!" Brody shouted.

"You're up, Dylan."

The blond girl ran up and blew her whistle.

"Okay. The lifeguard's number one responsibility is keeping people safe in the water." Dylan read fro m a yellow notecard.

The wind blew her card away and she ran to get it.

"Sorry, just...one second."

She picked it up and began again.

"And in conclusion... No, wait, that's not right. Seven, four...three. Okay. Does anyone see a card with a number two on it? Got a little circle around it?"

"I told Garvin she wasn't captain material." Brody whispered to Logan.

"Any day now... Dylan." Brody shouted through the megaphone.

"Right. Um. We're just gonna do the standard Malibu swim tests. So, out to the buoy and back. But make sure..."

"Somebody's excited to get into the water. 'Cause you're on the swim team?" Tyler turned towards Gina, who was stretching.

"How do you know that?"

"'Cause your shirt says 'Swim Team'."

"Also your pants." Eric added.

"Oh. Right. Yeah. I live for this."

"The tides really strong out there, so be-"

The kids whooped, cheered and ran straight to the water.

"I was gonna say be careful."

"If anyone gets stung by a jellyfish, I call dibs on peeing on the sting." Lizzie shouted and ran into the water.

Gina, Ellie and Tyler reached the buoy first. After rounding the floating buoy, Gina coughed and paused.

"You okay?" Tyler asked worriedly.

"I'm fine." Gina replied and swam off.

On the shore, Gina gasped and struggled to stand up. Ellie and Tyler shared a worried look and swam towards her. They hoisted her up and hobbled her out of the water.

"Gina, seriously, let us help you." Ellie pulled Gina to her feet.

"I don't need your help. Or yours." Gina shoved Ellie and Tyler's hands away before stalking off.

"Hey, I'm sure she didn't mean it, Tyler. She'll be fine tomorrow." Ellie reassured, panting.

"Yeah, I guess so."

"We should go."

"Yeah."

✧✧✧✧✧

"Hey, how was the first day?" Vooch asked.

"Why? What'd you hear?" Gina replied and entered the bus.

"So fun!" Lizzie giggled.

"I'm in pain. Pretty much everywhere." Eric laughed.

"Today was actually pretty good." Ellie smiled and climbed inside.

Tyler made a move to get on the bus, but was stopped by Vooch.

"Woah, whoa! Hey, might- We might want to leave some of that sand on the beach!" Vooch observed Tyler, who gave a look.

"I'm joking. I'm joking."

"I just wanna go home." Tyler said.

Vooch got a towel and tried to pat off some of the sand on Tyler's back.