Chapter 11: The Crucible

Garvin and Brody stepped onto the platform in front of the crowd.

"Welcome to the Crucible!" Garvin spoke into the microphone.

The crowd cheered loudly.

"This is the final competition in the Malibu Beach Junior Rescue program. Today, we find out which of you are the best... which of you are the best of the best... And which of you are the worst." Garvin covered the mic and leaned back towards Brody.

"Where are those Valley rats? Mayor's gonna be here any minute. I need him to see what a mistake it was forcing me to take them."

"I haven't seen them." Brody replied anxiously.

Garvin gave a grim smile.

Suddenly, a horn honked. Garvin looked up and saw a black limousine parked on the curb.

"I'm very proud to announce we've got a distinguished guest visiting us this year. The mayor of Los Angeles." Garvin announced.

The mayor waved his hands and Garvin walked up to him.

"Mr. Mayor! Welcome to Malibu. I think you're gonna enjoy watching Malibu's finest do what they do best." Garvin shook the mayors hand.

"It's not just Malibu. Our beautiful beaches are the pride of all Angelenos."

A rickety bus came rolling in behind the pair.

"My goodness. Who is that?" The mayor asked.

"Those are our friends from the Valley. Part of the Malibu Beach Junior Rescue Program, thanks to you." Garvin replied.

Vooch hopped out of the bus and spotted the two.

"Oh, the mayor! Cool."

Garvin sighed.

"Well, I suppose we should get started." Garvin turned around and jumped at the sight of Tyler shaking the mayor's hand.

"What are you doin' here?"

"Just meetin' the mayor, sir. It's a pleasure to meet you." Tyler answered.

"'Scuse me." Garvin pulled Tyler over to the side.

"You're not part of this program anymore." Garvin whispered, crossing his arms.

"You kicked me out for something that happened in Santa Monica. You got no juice there. I'm competing with my pod. There's nothing you can do." Tyler replied, smugly.

"That's ridiculous. This is my program. I can do whatever I want." Garvin laughed.

"Do we have a problem?" The mayor asked, sensing the growing tension.

Tyler and Garvin turned around slowly.

"I don't know, do we?" Tyler asked Garvin.

"No. No problem whatsoever, sir. So, shall we start the Crucible?" Garvin led the mayor to the podium.

"Lets."

"Yes! It worked, guys! It worked." Ellie jumped excitedly.

The team smiled and headed off towards the beach.

✧✧✧✧✧

"Welcome to the Malibu Beach Junior Rescue Crucible. Captains, get your pods to the starting area." The announcer announced.

"Okay, guys. We got this. Lemme just find my cards. I know they're in here." Dylan fumbled with her backpack.

"One minute. This is your one-minute warning."