Chapter 12: The Crucible Pt. 2

Eric dove into the salt water, immediately searching for Ellie. He spotted her, laying on the ocean floor. His eyes widened and he dived and swam as fast as he could. He grasped her arms and dragged her up to the surface, sandbag in his other hand.

Eric gasped as he broke the surface, shouting, "I got her! I got her!"

Tyler breathed a sigh of relief and helped haul the two bodies on the boat.  He lowered his head to her mouth, trying to listen for a breath. There was none. Without a second thought, Tyler began the CPR. A few seconds later, Ellie coughed up a lungful of water on the side of the boat and began gasping for air.

Tyler panted and hugged Ellie as tight as he could. He turned her around and smashed his lips on hers, extremely happy. Ellie's eyes widened and she blushed. She didn't know how to respond. I mean, how would one respond when your crush is kissing you.

Tyler knew that the whole team was watching, but he didn't care. He just knew that Ellie was safe, and that was all that mattered.

"Oh my god! I-I thought I lost you or something. What the heck were you doing down there?" Tyler frantically searched the girl for more injuries, but found none.

Ellie panted and lunged for a hug, which was gladly returned.

"Awww. You two are so cute. But can you maybe save it for after  the Crucible?" Gina laughed.

The pair blushed and scrambled apart.

"We got it!" Lizzie held up the sandbag for Dylan to see.

"Yes, Ellie, you did it!" Dylan cheered.

"Might be a little too late." Brody bragged.

"The Flounders are in second place. But if they're gonna catch the Dogfish, they'd better get a swimmer in the water." The intercom sounded.

"Time to out-swim these suckers, Flounder style." Lizzie encouraged.

"Phew." Gina stared at the crowd and sat down.

"You okay?" Eric asked.

"What's wrong?" Tyler asked.

"I can't do it." Gina breathed.

"Yes, you can. You're a star swimmer, swimming's your life." Tyler pushed.

"I'm not even on the team." Gina revealed.

"What?"

"I mean, I was in junior high, but... when I got to high school, everybody was just bigger and better. Uh... I don't know. I was just like, 'What if I'm the worst?' and... I just choked." Gina explained.

"What are they waiting for? Come on. Come on!" Dylan asked, tightly clutching her clipboard.

"What if I get in the water and screw up?" Gina asked.

"You can't be the team screwup." Tyler started and Ellie grabbed his hand.

"Why not?"

"Because that's my job."

Gina stood up.

"Okay. How far behind am I?"

"45 seconds."

Gina sighed.

"Meet me on the beach." Gina then dove into the water.

"The Flounders are back in the race."

"Whoo! Go, Flounders!" Dylan shouted. She turned to Brody.

"She's fast, right?"

Gina was slowly, but surely, catching up to the Dogfish.