Chapter 7: Campfire

"I don't get it. How'd a CPR dummy get out into the ocean?" Eric asked.

Tyler and the group looked up.

"Jeffy! Quit messin' with that dummy! Quit it!" Jeffy's mother ran after the little boy, who dropped the dummy's arms.

"I see you, Jeffy!" Tyler tiptoed and yelled.

"Don't run away from me! You know I can't run in sand!" The mother called.

✧✧✧✧✧

"Dylan, wait up!" Ellie panted, finally catching up with the older girl.

"Man, you walk fast." Ellie had her hands on her knees.

"Ellie? What are you doing here?" Dylan turned around and asked, wiping a stray tear from her eyes.

"Awww. Please, Dylan, don't cry." Ellie gave a hug to Dylan, who gladly returned the hug.

"I'm s-sorry, Ellie. I-I don't know wh-what's gotten into me lately. What if wh-what th-they all s-say is r-right? Wh-what if I-I'm n-not m-meant to b-be a c-captain?" Dylan sobbed onto Ellie's shoulder.

"Hey, Dylan. Everything is going to be fine. All right? It's not your fault that Tyler wants to quit. It's not your fault that Brody and his gang always picks on us. None of this is your fault. I think you're doing an excellent job, okay? You're doing fine. Stop being so hard on yourself." Ellie squeezed Dylan, reassuring her.

"I'm sorry for crying all over you, Ellie." Dylan sighed and wiped her tears away.

"It's fine, Dylan."

"And I'm sorry you had to see me like this."

"Once again, it's fine, Dylan. Although, I should probably get going. The bus should be here any minute." Ellie said and gave Dylan one last hug.

"I'll see you tomorrow. I have a feeling it's going to be great." Ellie smiled and ran off.

✧✧✧✧✧

Vooch wiped his hands after attaching a bike to the front of the bus.

"Hey!" The man said, giving a thumbs up at the Valley group. He look confused when Eric walked right past him and onto the bus.

"Save any lives today?" Vooch asked.

"Real funny, Vooch." Gina replied, with an annoyed face.

"What'd I say?"

"We don't want to talk about it." Lizzie gripped her bag and got on the bus.

"Just take us home, man." Tyler huffed and got onto the bus. Vooch started the bus and almost drove off until they heard a voice.

"Wait, guys! Wait for me!" Ellie dashed across the beach and in front of the bus.

"You guys almost left me!" Ellie yelled, panting a little.

"Oops, sorry, Ellie." Vooch opened the door and the girl stomped on.

"Are you serious? I was comforting Dylan!" Ellie got on the bus and slumped down in her seat. Tyler gave an apologetic smile.

10 minutes in, the bus engine started to have problems, so Vooch pulled the vehicle over. He got out of the bus and opened the hood of the car. The kids followed, putting on their hoodies and jackets.

"Yeah, that's what I thought."

"What?" Tyler asked.

"It's broken. But relax. I can fix it. Just give me 20 minutes." Vooch assured.