Chapter 9: Are You Kidding Me?

"The Crucible is made up of five competitions. A beach to buoy Zodiac race, followed by an open water rescue, a half-mile swim to shore, a backward carry around the first-aid station, ending in an ATV race. So today, we're gonna practice operating an official Malibu Rescue four-wheeler. This baby has a 250 CC air-cooled engine, double wishbone suspension, and an automatic transmission. There's nothing it can't handle." Dylan proudly exclaimed.

Ellie whistled.

"Cool."

"See you later, suckers." Tyler hopped into the ATV and prepared to drive off.

"Not without the key, smart guy." Dylan held the yellow keys.

Tyler sighed and slid off the ATV.

"Gina, you're up first."

Gina grinned and made a move to put on the helmet.

Just then, Brody came up to the group in his own ATV. The Dogfish weren't far behind.

"Guys, quick. There's an emergency in the parking lot. Somebody left an American Girl Doll locked in a hot car with the windows rolled up." Brody joked.

Ellie rolled her eyes.

"That was such a lame joke. Where does he find the time to think of these?" Ellie leaned over to Lizzie. The redhead just shrugged.

Angrily, Tyler stalked up to the captain.

"Yo, what's your problem, man?"

"You're my problem, man. You're a screwu-," Brody started.

"Oh, no, you don't," Ellie walked over and stood in front of Tyler. She raised one finger and pointed at him.

"Don't you dare finish that sentence." Ellie said slowly.

"Or else what? You gonna punch me?" Brody taunted.

"Oh, so that's how it's gonna be, huh?" Ellie grabbed a fistful of Brody's shirt and leaned into his ear.

"You can't even imagine the sheer amount of things I could do that could kick you off this ATV, the captain list, this program, this beach and even this city. So don't you dare call Tyler, or anyone on my pod, a screwup. And if you do, you're gonna regret it. So, if I were you, I would back off right now, or my fist can do it for you." Ellie released Brody's shirt and walked back.

"You guys better not do anything stupid. I'm gonna blow off some steam. Gina? Call me back when this," Ellie mentioned to Brody-Tyler scene, "-is over." The girl glared at the two boys and headed over to a different part of the beach.

Both Brody and Tyler gulped in fear.

"Bro, your girl's kinda scary." Brody quietly said.

"I know. She is. But she's also really pretty. Wait a minute, she isn't my girl. Yet."

Brody cleared his throat.

"Anyways, you don't have what it takes, Tyler."

"I'm not a screwup."

"Then prove it. If you can beat me to the end of the beach on that ATV, I'll leave you alone for the rest of the program."

Tyler got quiet and thought about it.

"Brody, we don't have time for this." Dylan crossed her arms.

"She's right. The Crucible's tomorrow. Just let it go, Tyler." Eric added.

"Think about Ellie. She's gonna be so mad when she finds out about this." Lizzie added.

Tyler cracked his neck.