Chapter 5: Team Flounders and Pranks

Ellie awoke to an empty house, except for the butlers and maids scampering about the mansion. The girl sighed and got out of bed.

"What did I expect anyways."

✧✧✧✧✧

"Day two, shark farts. Today, we are going to split you up into your training pods. Your pod is gonna be like your team for the rest of this program." Brody explained, pacing around the group.

"For me, about 15 more minutes-" Tyler muttered.

"What's that, brah?" Brody yelled.

"Nothing, bro..dy. Brody."

"Look, not everybody has what it takes to be Malibu Junior Rescue. You gotta know your stuff. Which is why I'm giving each pod an experienced captain to be their leader." 

Spencer and Logan were handing out different colored T-shirts with different marine animals on them.

"I got dibs on these guys right here. You're my Dogfish, let me hear ya!" Brody and the Dogfish barked multiple times.

"Who's our captain?" Eric asked.

Spencer sighed and started to make his way over, but he was stopped by Brody.

"Hey, whoa, Spence. I'm puttin' you with the Barracudas over here."

Spencer breathed a sigh of relief.

"Oh! Thank god."

Brody looked around for available captains.

"Dylan. Let's see what you can do with Team Flounder."

Logan smirked and threw a light blue bundle towards the Valley kids.

"Flounder? Really?" Gina asked.

"Let's move!"

The crowd dispersed and Dylan walked up to the group.

"Hey, guys! So, I'm Dylan. And I'm pumped to be your captain. It's my job to... prepare you for... Prepare you for... What am I preparing you for?" Dylan read off of her notecard.

"Ah! Here it is. Success." The captain said, flipping the card over.

"Full disclosure, I've never really been a captain before."

"No kidding." Gina remarked.

Tyler shrugged.

"I'll be home by lunch." He said under his breath.

"What'd you say?" Dylan asked, leaning in.

"Nothing. Why's everybody keep thinking I'm saying something?"

The team looked at Tyler weirdly, except Ellie, who was staring at the ocean, lost in her own world. She was still upset that her parents had left her for a business trip. She just didn't understand.

"Great to meet you, Dylan. I'm Lizzie. Don't worry, if anyone suffers from dramatic blood loss, I've got a belt I can make into a tourniquet." Lizzie giggled.

"Lizzie. Belt. Good to know. Why don't we get started?"

"Sooner we get started, sooner I'll get out of here." Tyler mumbled.

"What?" Dylan asked.

"What?" Tyler replied.

"What?" Gina and Lizzie asked.

"You gotta stop saying things under your breath. It's super confusing." Eric said.

Dylan nodded and blew her whistle.