Chapter 6: Can't Get Kicked Out

"Pretty solid second day, especially from my pod? Let me hear you, Dogfish!" Brody and his pod performed their infamous barks.

"Barracuda, Hammerhead, Stingray, Sea Lion, high-five. Flounders. I need to see a little bit more out of you. And by a little I mean a lot. Now get off my beach." Brody sat down on his chair, only to hear creaking.

"What's that?"

The wooden beach chair collapsed, bringing Brody down with it. The said male lifted his head out of the sand, spitting some out.

Tyler proudly held a handful of screws.

"Nice knowin' you guys."

✧✧✧✧✧

"Mr. Cross, I'm so sorry for all the trouble today." Dylan apologized.

"No, I'm sorry, Dylan. I had my doubts putting you in charge of that pod. You lack confidence necessary to be a true leader." Garvin Cross told the captain, whilst polishing his golden trophy.

"Whoa, all right? It's not her fault. I'm the problem. You should kick me out." Tyler intervened.

"Kick you out?" Garvin asked.

"Great idea. Lot of growin' up to do. Well, I better get goin'."

"Hey! Ah!"

Tyler made a move to go, but was stopped by Garvin.

"Get back here. You're not goin' anywhere. Dylan, you really need to step up your game if you're gonna be a captain of a pod. Understood?"

"Understood. I won't let you down." Dylan said, clutching her clipboard tightly.

Garvin crossed his arms with a frown.

"Dylan, I didn't mean to get you in trouble." Tyler started.

"Well, you did." The captain shook her head and left the office.

"It's not her fault. You can't be mad at her like that. She didn't do anything." The boy defended.

"You're Roger's son."

"Stepson."

"You know, back in the day, Roger and I were pod mates. He was even named Junior Rescuer of the Year."

"I know, I've seen the plaque."

"Gave up the Malibu life and moved to the Valley."

Garvin sighed.

"We lost a good one."

"He's not dead."

"Oh, isn't he? Look, I know what you're trying to do here, Tyler. You think if you act like an idiot, I'll throw you out of the program. It's not gonna happen."

"But I'm bringing my whole pod down."

"Exactly. I'll let you in on a little secret. I don't want you, or any of the losers in that pod, in my program."

"What?"

"This summer, the bleeding hearts at City Hall, decided I needed to be a little bit more inclusive. They forced me to accept candidates from... non-beach cities."

"You don't want us here because we're from the Valley?"

"That's right. For years, the Junior Rescue only accepted Malibu's finest. Malibu locals protecting Malibu beaches. That's the way it should be."

"That's messed up."

"What's messed up is some bureaucrat telling me how to run my beach. Tyler, I didn't know what to do. Until your father-"