Chapter 30

Her eyes opened to meet a pitch black sky, and the feeling of soft grass underneath the damp layer of the back of her dress.

There was a roar. She turned her head to find the stark image of a humongous beast, suddenly flame erupting from its jaw. "Bloody Hell." She yelled, bolting to her feet instinctually. 

"Welcome to Romania." A voice spoke beside her, and her eyes flicked to meet Charlie's. 

Confusion met her in a wave.  She was supposed to have went with Harry and Ron.  "Charlie!"  She yelled furiously, and he was taken aback as the girl started upon him. 

"Wha-"

"I was supposed to leave!  I'm not supposed to be here right now! You apparated us here-"

"Pardon me. Was I supposed to let you die? Did you hear the patronous?The ministry has fallen. Death eaters would have been upon us any second."

"I can take care of myself thanks!" She spat, not mad at him but moreso the situation.  Because she knew, she'd never be able to locate Ron and Harry now. 

"Is that so?" He asked with equal arrogance and furry. 

The dragon let out another blaze, causing Hermione to scream.  She had jumped behind Charlie now, clinging tightly to the back of his shirt. 

"Can take care of yourself?" He repeated to mock her dependence on him in the moment. 

"Oh shove it Charlie, point proven, but right now could you at least try to, I don't know maybe tame the bloody dragon."  She whispered with fear and sarcasm. 

He chuckled slightly at her nature.  But he obliged.  In one swift movement he placed his forefinger in between his lips and let out a piercing whistle. 

Hermione watched apprehensively.  Upon the horizon it looked as though hawks were approaching.  They weren't hawks.  One by one they landed near to the other dragon that had spit fire, causing the earth to rumble with the force as they touched down. 

"Oh godric!" Is all she could utter, held in complete shock. 

"Hermione, meet my Dragons.  Dragons meet Hermione Granger."

"I don't like Dragons very much." She spoke blatantly, keeping them in her focus.

Charlie could feel the slight tremor of the girl behind him. The fact that she was the slightest bit nervous unsettled him, and left a churning feeling in his own stomach. He turned around cautiously, taking her hands in his own. "Hermione What is it? You know I won't let the Dragons hurt you."

"No I know. I trust you-"

"Then what?"

"We need to get back." She said strongly. "I'm going with or without Ron or Harry. They might even still be there." She rationalized.

"It's not safe." Charlie spoke with concern. For some reason he wanted to latch on even tighter, afraid she would apparate back. He had always knew Hermione was clever, and courageous, and most importantly stubborn. So when she had told him they were leaving, it had only been a matter of time till he knew he would find out what it was they were planning. And sue him for caring, but it was harder to actually let her go. He admired her desire to defeat Voldemort, but he also knew it was a death wish.

"We are surrounded by dragons right now, please don't pull the it's not safe card. I have to do this."

His face broke to show the small bit of anger he was trying to surprise. "I cannot let you Hermione! I've been worried about you enough for the past six months when you were safe at Hogwarts." He retracted away from her to try and calm his boiling concern, before looking back to her seeking eyes. Her eyes that almost begged for him to allow her, and understand. He did understand, but physically he could not draw himself to let her go. "You understand it's insane. You cannot rashly jump into save the day on your own. These are deatheaters and the darkest wizard of all time that even aurors cannot defeat."

"Yes it's improbable, but there is a chance Charlie, and it's the only way. I know better than anyone the idiocracy of our plan. But I've decided Charlie I have to do this. Harry and Ron need me."

He looked away for a moment, never more admiring of the witch. And he hated bravery. He despised it. Because while it was the most admirable, it was her stubborn bravery and nobility that would hurt her. "What about me?" He spoke hoarsely, his throat tight and swollen. "Have you ever thought that I need you?"

"Charlie-" she sighed in defeat, quite tired of convincing. And he made it quite hard even for her to convince herself this was the right decision. "Please, just-lets go back. It is probably safe by now. If it assures you any I'll wait till I go. I'll convince Harry and Ron if they are there to wait a couple of days. If they are not there it will take time to locate them."

"You promise you'll wait." He asked.

She met his green eyes, looking at him with full seriousness. It was hard to bring herself to agree, but she couldn't completely abandon him. "I promise."

"We cannot go back yet, we have to stay at least till it's safe."

"When's the soonest we can go?" She looked to his hesitation. "Charlie be honest with me."

"In an hour, I don't know. I'll have to send a patronous."

"Alright." She nodded as though it was agreed upon, rather thankful he was going to take her.

After a patronous was sent, Charlie and Hermione stood near the dragon stables that he had briefly shown her that were a few meters from the cliff side they had appeared. Before she took her hand in his, she met his gaze once more. "Wait-"

"What is it?" He asked.

"When we get to the Burrow you cannot tell anyone of where Harry and Ron are, they'll want to know."

"Okay." He agreed lamely.

"Not even Bill, Charlie."

As hard as it was to do so, he knew he'd keep it a secret. She was with him still and it was good enough.

They had arrived at the Burrow, greeted by the worried faces of Mrs.Weasley and Ginny, whom were relieved at least to know Hermione and Charlie were alive.

The small hope that Hermione had that Harry and Ron would be there diminished quickly as Ginny asked where they were. Hermione shook her head with sorrow, squeezing Charlie's hand for comfort subconsciously. She was worried. She herself hadn't a clue where they were.

It was quiet and dreary, everyone dealing with their own worry and unsettling feeling that was now the unknown.

Hermione was led upstairs by Charlie, and although nothing serious was further spoken between the two, they were in a general understanding of the situation. She looked to Charlie, no longer refusing to give in to his affections. She moved to cuddle up to his open arms as he laid on his bed. As he wrapped his arms around her, she felt secure despite her stomach still twisted in knots. There was no more arguing between them. It could wait till morning. As selfish as it was, she would allow herself just for this moment to let Charlie distract her thoughts.

"You're hair smells nice." He whispered into the thick locks of her maine as she nestled in closer to him.

She let out a small giggle that seemed so ironic considering a war had just begun. The giggle settled in her stomach as a nervous feeling different from the worry. It was the feeling she felt, oh so similar to when she had fallen for him over the winter holidays. A feeling she hadn't had since then.

She couldn't avoid Charlie Weasley. She was drawn to him. She couldn't place what specifically it was. And although she had fought it with logic many times, over the holidays with reasoning they were ridiculous together due to the obvious age gap, or now, that in times of war there was no room for love—she couldn't deny the feelings she had for him.

There was something about the Burrow perhaps. She wouldn't mind laying here for days really, next to him. "You drive me insane Charlie Weasley." She whispered aloud into the crook of his neck.

He exhaled slowly, a pain digging into his chest. She was going to be the hardest thing to let go.