Chapter 38

"Ron!" Charlie rounded on his brother who was currently grasped in the clutches of Mrs. Weasley. "Where are they!?"

"How am I supposed to know? As if I'd tell you. I don't want you running off and being the next name."

"They could be the next name Ron!" Charlie yelled, white in the face.

"They know what they signed up for."

"Stop It!" Ginny yelled, standing up. "We don't know where they are. We were in the forest of Dean. They could be anywhere by now. We have no way of tracing them now that we left."

"Ginny, do you have any idea when we will see them next?" Bill said calmly.

"When the wars over. I've learned two things about Harry Potter and Hermione Granger over the years. They will either complete their mission or die trying." She spoke almost bravely. 

Mrs. Weasley looked as though she was going to faint.  "We'll be ready.  When they need us we'll be here. Now. Charlie you have no right yelling at your brother, for making his own decision."

Charlie looked to Ron.  He looked petrified.  "I'm sorry Ron." He spoke honestly, yet stormed up to his room, determined on helping them. 

Over the next few weeks, Charlie stayed in his room. Bill attempted at holding a decent conversation, and yet the rest seemed content that he hadn't done anything rash for once in his life. He retreated one day, what seemed a month had past, when he had received a letter from Minerva McGonagall, instructing him that Dumbledore had wished for him to recruit as many foreign wizards as possible for their side of the war.

So he left. He returned to Romania, finding the Burrow depressing for the first time in his life. As he crossed the grassy slope, now covered in a layer of permafrost he was surprised to find an owl sitting calmly at the window of his small home. 

Dear Char,

I want you to know I love you. We are both well. Stay safe. Stay warm. I know your Dragons can keep you company.

xoxo p.s. ; I miss you, and your kisses

His heart was beating so loud that he could barely hear her voice in his mind. He knew it was her. It was enough to know she was alive. And yet, it hardly seemed enough.

I don't know if you'll get this. My brother and sister are back, and refuse to tell us anything more. I am angry with you, but I cannot stay angry. I am worried more than anything. It is freezing. Stay Warm, (You still have my jumper I'd assume) Please, stay safe. I beg you more than anything.

Charlie waited a week then, taking care of his Dragons in a routine he was used to. In the evenings he would enter the local wizarding villages, and ask anyone who would be willing to join their side in the end. But that was a dangerous task in itself.

Yes, I still have your jumper. Though I'd rather have you. We are nearly there now. That is we've figured the means, but we don't have the means. It would be best if we don't write for now. I love you, and if I can not contact you before Christmas, than happy Christmas my Dragon Tamer.

He stared down at the letter with a frown. Christmas. Would she not even write again until Christmas? A year ago, they all would have been spending the holidays at the Burrow. Everything was perfect then.

Sure enough, the snow began to fall, covering the world in white. And as the weeks went on, he received no further trace of evidence that she existed at all.

He spent Christmas alone, shut up in his room. He understood why they couldn't write. He understood the messages could not say too much for security reasons. But could she not send a Patronous?