Chapter 35

Hermione couldn't sleep.  She stared at the ceiling above her, hands resting over her stomach. She tilted her head to Charlie, his face close when she did so. He was fast asleep, his breathing steady.  She usually would drift asleep, her own breathe matching his. But tonight she could not.  It had been three weeks since Harry and Ron had left.  They hadn't contacted her, and she hadn't the means to send a patronous since she hadn't the slightest idea of there whereabouts.  All she knew is they were looking for Horcruxes.  She bit her inner cheek feeling completely and utterly useless. 

With a frustrated sigh, she got out of Charlie's bed and tiptoed into the hallway.  She noticed the features of the girl first. "Oh hi Ginny." 

"I was just using the loo."  She whispered. 

"I cannot sleep." Hermione groaned, rubbing her face in her hands. 

"Harry and Ron."  Ginny offered.  She smiled bleakly. "Care for some tea?" 

The two traveled down into the lower level of the Burrow.  Everything was silent, a rarity before the war began.  Now the house seemed empty. 

"Hermione can I ask you a question?" Ginny asked. 

Hermione looked up from the table as Ginny flew two teacups through the air and put on the kettle. 

"You know you can anytime. What is it?"

"Do you love my brother? Like I understand you two are a thing, and are flirtatious and attracted, but do you love him?" 

Hermione laughed to herself. "Gin-Godric if I know. The easy answer would be no.  How can I be in love with someone in just a few months together?  But yes, I love him." 

Ginny sat down smiling widely at this.  "I can't say I love Harry. When he left he-"

"I know.  But I don't think he means anything by it. Breaking it off. I'm sure you're the only one he thinks about-" Hermione's smile fell. "-wherever he is."

"Are you scared for them?" Ginny said before pouring them both their drinks.

Hermione met Ginny's eyes, the two understanding in that moment their similar fears and thoughts. "Petrified." She accepted the tea, shrugging. "But they've always managed in the face of danger haven't they?"

"Yes but without you I beg to wonder if they can survive."

This statement caused Hermione's stomach to flip in guilt. She knew very well how dependent they had been on her. If something were to happen she would feel almost responsible.

Later that week, Charlie had been concerned with Hermione's distant nature. She had spent less and less time by his side, and instead frantically flipping through books. He was certain she wasn't simply reading for the entertainment. She looked tired too, from what he observed.

He glanced to the girl sitting in an arm chair with three books and a cup of tea. He held his bottom lip in his teeth, her disposition setting an weary feeling in his stomach.

He sighed and then flipped over the envelope addressed to him. Cutting open the seal, he unfolded a letter within.

Dear Brother,

This is Bill, obviously. I've just been to the ministry with Dad. You mentioned returning to Romania sometime during the war. Now would be the time to do so. Take Hermione with you. What we have a feared about the deatheaters tracking down muggles and muggleborns is worse by the minute. Tell her what you have to. We will be at the ministry for the next couple of days. We've sent for Ginny to stay with us at the shell cottage. Keep in touch.
-Bill