Chapter 31

The Burrow was silent.  Charlie looked to the clock seeing his brother's name in peril.  He then let his gaze fall on Hermione.  She was sitting reading the tales of Beetle the Bard.  However unlike previous times he would watch her read over the winter holidays, her expression was not calm.  Her eyes were focused and posture rigid. 

As the clock rung her eyes adverted upwards.  She met his own gaze with a look of question to why he had been watching her.  He smiled warmly, hoping she could understand his concern for her.  He didn't take a liking to her being upset or worried.  It made his own stomach to be unsettled. 

"How did you sleep?"  She asked, closing the book and setting it down on the settee. 

"Marvelous. You?" 

She shifted, tugging on the corner of her jumper.  "Nightmares.  Not too dreadful."

Charlie crouched down so he was at her level, looking her steadily into her eyes. She puckered her mouth in suspicion towards his action of crossing the room and sitting before her, his one hand removing the book from her clutches. "Haven't you used any draught of dreamless sleep?" He inquired.

He noticed her hesitate in reply. "Harry and Ron took the last of it I'd assume."

Not wanting to look at any masked pain behind her eyes he glanced to the cover of the book. "Reading children's fairytales? I personally loved Babbitty Rabbitty." He grinned to himself, remembering when Bill would read to him.

"Dumbledore gave it to me." She answered quickly again, as though he were interrogating her.

"Are you sure you are alright?" He asked, tilting his head upwards from the book. 

"Yes." She nodded, then let out a drawn breathe. 

He studied her features once more, selfishly wishing she hadn't slipped out from underneath the covers this morning.  He had never fell asleep more peacefully to know she was safe right next to him.  For the past sixth months he had had to endure not knowing where exactly she was, but thinking of Hogwarts had at least offered some sanity to his worrying thoughts.  If she had been at Hogwarts she was safe.  But now, actually having her close was so much more calming.  Having her close was-

"Charlie."  She whispered, and he hadn't realized she had shifted closer to him, nor had been calling his name. 

"Hmmm?" 

"May I have my book back?" She asked and he frowned on the inside, preferring she didn't spend the morning reading. 

"May I read it with you?"  He proposed, looking to her with puppy dog eyes. 

She bit her lip as though deciding.  "I don't see why not—woahhh!"  She screamed in shock as he lifted her up from the sofa seat and swung her on his back.  She took grip of his shoulders, having it been the longest time since she had had a piggy back ride, and he smiled at the way her fingers felt holding to his shirt.  "What are you doing?!" She asked in a flustered tone. 

He simply chuckled, and then proceeded to carry Hermione up the stairs.  He ended up in Bills room, and set Hermione back down.  The witch looked at him skeptically, and then around the room. 

"Ta da!" He spoke with amusement.  "I present to you my reading spot." 

He gained a small smile from Hermione, and even this small expression caused him to feel proud.  "Bills bedroom?" 

"Ah, but you haven't seen the actual spot."  He moved across the room to a small gnome statue that rest on his bedside table.  He withdrew his wand and tapped the Gnome so that it grew to the size of a human.  Two steps led up to the table with painted dragons on the shabby wood.  "After you."  He spoke, offering his hand to Hermione.