[ 04 ]

[ 3rd person pov ]

due to it being the first day since the holidays have ended, the teachers were kind enough to give them a break, excluding them from the endless amount of homework. he sat down on his chair by his table beside jeongin's as he thought of something to do. then, he remembered the encounter with the boy today and took out his phone. he plugged in a pair of earphones and sat facing jeongin, so as to spare him from the possible embarrassment or questions from the younger boy. he went into youtube and searched up the phrase "learning sign language". he tapped on the first video that came up and waited for the toothpaste advertisement to end.

after watching for a mere 5 seconds he took his phone from the landscape position and scrolled down to find videos which seemed less boring. after finding the perfect one, he followed the hand actions the video showed as he created space in his brain for the sign language memory he'd have to master. he did not know why he was so interested in this, nor why he wanted to learn sign language. he denied the fact that he probably wanted to impress jisung.

after the video ended, he replayed it once, twice and the third and last time. making sure he got everything, he tested himself, until jeongin was done with his homework.

"hyung, i'm done, what are we having for dinner?" jeongin said as he packed his bag for the next day of school tomorrow.

"i'll go make kimchi fried rice, you can rest, you studied for an hour," minho switched off the samsung note8 as he got up to the kitchen to make dinner for him and his roommate.

♣️

the next day at school, the first thing minho did was to look for jisung. he could not care less about the stares the students gave, regardless if the reason was because he was running or he was the new student. he scanned through the pool of students as he saw the boy in the midst of the crowd at his locker. "thanks for not failing me height," he thought as he walked up to the boy calmly. he waved at the boy so their eyes would meet, as he raised his hand. the image he created in his head from the video appeared as he followed, his hands saying, "hi."

jisung looked surprised at first, before chucking, not sound coming out from his mouth. jisung brought up his hands to eye level as he signed, "you know i can hear right?" minho only stared at jisung's hands, blinking as he did not understand the boy. jisung smiled from the boy's reaction as he took out a pen and paper from his locker. he wrote the same words he signed as minho came to a realisation.

"oh... yeah, i know. i just wanted you to see that i learned..." minho smiled sheepishly as he rubbed the back of his neck. blood rushed up to his cheeks and tips of his ears as he blushed from embarrassment, or maybe there was another reason.

"it's fine, it took felix a long time to learn it too," jisung smiled as he showed his words on the paper to minho. he opened his mouth, about to say something until the public address (PA) system went off with a sound of ding dong.

"students, the time now is 7.45, please make your way to class and get ready for morning assembly at 8 a.m. head of your student council, kim seungmin speaking," the announcement was made. minho then waved goodbye to jisung, "bye jisung, i'll see you around." the two smiled at each other as minho left, the redness on his face not leaving.