[ 05 ]

[ jisung pov ]

after the first bell for first period rang, the class waited for the teacher to enter, as i read my book, completely unbothered by the empty seat beside me. the back door crashed open, as felix who was panting and perspiring madly sighed in relief after seeing that the teacher's seat was empty. i closed the book reluctantly, not wanting to part from the beautiful words, but i still did anyway. the class stared at felix for a while before looking back to the front or at their own things, as this had become a part of their daily routine. i lifted my hands as the boy sat beside me, then signalling, "late again?"

he smiled sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck, "sorry, i missed the bus." he took out his stuff to prepare for literature, my favourite subject.

the door opened, as the old but healthy literature teacher, mrs yoo stepped in. as usual, the kind student who sat in front, his name was kwon soonyoung i think, went to the front to help the teacher carry the papers she struggled to lift herself.

"thank you soonyoung, once again," she placed her things on the table with much help from the boy as she started lesson. we stood up and greeted her as she did so back, "good morning, please take out your poetry book. those who didn't bring it, if it's your first time please remain seated, if done so more than twice please stand." she did her usual taking down of the names of students who took advantage of her kindness.

lesson started and carried on as usual, as i listened with much interest.

"so what can you tell about the setting and atmosphere of pages 46-49?" i raised up my hand that stood at the side of the classroom as everyone turned their heads towards me. the 3 mean boys who were seated at the other side of the class at the back snickered, whispering to each other, as mrs yoo spoke up, "dongwon and friends, there is no need for you to speak, unless you'd like to give the correct answer?" she paused as they quietened down. "yes jisung?" i smiled, turning towards felix, signing the answer to him, like how i usually do when i'm answering questions.

"tense, because the character and her mother-in-law are not speaking to each other even when they are claiming they do not have problems," felix's deep voice echoes through the classroom as he "translates" my answer. i nodded and turned towards mrs yoo.

"correct! thank you jisung," she said, as dongwon and his two other friends, myeongyi and kihoon turned around, rolling their eyes. i ignored them and smiled, as felix raised his hands with two thumbs up at me, smiling proudly. i smiled wider as i continued to listen in class.

♣️

during lunch, felix and i picked up our bags for the period after lunch as we started walking to our usual place.

"mom insisted for me to bring some apple pie instead, she made extra yesterday," felix said, as we made a turn outside the classroom. i guess that will be my lunch for today. i signalled to felix, "tell your mom i said thanks."

as we continued walking, dongwon and his self-called gang, interrupted the peaceful journey. dongwon started on a note of sarcasm, "hey, good job today in literature, you're doing so well despite you not being able to talk. but i'm sure even if you could, your voice would have sounded so ugly, that even the ever so kind mrs yoo would turn away and not dare come to class." myeongyi and kihoon started laughing, giving high-fives to each other.

"get out dongwon, you don't want what happened last time to happen again, do you?" felix stepped in front of me, showing his protective side, as i thanked him in my head again for probably the millionth time.

"wow, getting protective, aren't we? hey jisung, you're so lucky to have a best friend like him, huh? i'm starting to cringe," he said, pretending to gag. felix took a step forward, wanting to swing his fist at the stupid boy, but i held him back. i put my hand on top of his, as his knuckles turned into a mixture of red and white, his veins showing as well. 

dongwon smirked, finally leaving with his useless friends. i felt felix's hand relaxing, as he held my hand, not letting his protective side go, "let's go jisung."

-
sorry if the literature answer didn't make sense, i'm really bad at literature.