The Hunters Mate

Crouching low on the bark of a branch high up in a tree I reached over my shoulder for an arrow. Raising my bow I watched two werewolf packs battle viciously. The only sound that filled the air was the noise of ripping flesh. I narrow my eyes as an injured wolf came limping from the battlefield. It could barely walk and fell at the foot of my tree, whimpering in pain. I aimed my bow down at it ready to end its life, but for some reason I couldn't let go of the string. The wolf raised its head, dull green eyes met mine. Its eyes held so much pain. They wolf involuntarily shifted back and I gasped seeing a young girl no older than 13. Tears fell down her face as blood ran down her leg, from a huge bite wound. The sound of an intimidating growl ripped through the air and I jerked my head to the right seeing a large brown wolf with bloody claws and red stained teeth. It snapped its teeth and growled once more before running at the poor girl. She screamed unable to move as I drew back my arrow. Releasing the string the wolf dropped dead in a matter of seconds. Looking down at the girl who was curled tightly in a ball shaking I thought to myself, 'Why did I just save her life?"