Chapter 6: Building Something New

After what seemed like hours, I finally hear someone trying to move the maze wall. "Hello?!" I call out hoping to get a response.

"Y/n?!" I hear I think it's Astrid who answered me. "We're here to get you out of there!"

Within another few minutes, I'm finally freed from my little predicament. Letting my eyes adjust to the sunlight, I look around to see Gobber, the twins, Astrid, Fishlegs, and Snotlout.

"Thanks, guys," I say smiling at them.

A while later all the teens, Gobber, and I are sitting around a fire pit at the top of the watchtower that night.

Returning my focus back to Gobber's story "...And with one twist, he took my hand and swallowed it whole. And I saw the look on his face: I was delicious. He must have passed the word because it wasn't a month before another one of them took my leg."

"Isn't it weird to think that your hand was inside a dragon? Like if your mind was still in control of it, you could have killed the dragon from the inside by... crushing his heart, or something." Fishlegs mentions.

Snotlout shouts "I swear, I'm so angry right now! I'll avenge your beautiful hand and your beautiful foot. I'll chop off the legs of every dragon I fight. With my face!" 

"Un-unh. It's the wings and the tails you really want. If it can't fly, it can't get away. A downed dragon is a dead dragon. Alright. I'm off to bed. You should be, too. Tomorrow we get to the big boys. Slowly but surely making our way up to the Monstrous Nightmare. But who'll win the honor of killing it?" Gobber states.

"It's gonna be me. It's my destiny. See?" Tuffnut announces.

A loud gasp is heard from Fishlegs. "Your Mom let you get a tattoo?"

"It's not a tattoo. It's a birthmark." Tuffnut corrects.

"Okay, I've been stuck with you since birth, and that was never there before." Ruffnut his twin states folding her arms.

"Yes, it was. You've just never seen me from the left side until now." He insists.

As the other kids are talking, I notice that Hiccup is sneaking away. Both Astrid and I both start to go after him. Placing my hand on her shoulder to stop her, "Astrid, stay here. I need to go talk to him anyway."

Hesitatingly she responds "Fine, but only because you're his sister."

Hurrying after my brother I try my best to catch up to him. Hearing me he just speeds up and 'disappears'. Slowing to a stop. I take a couple of seconds to catch my breath. Carefully I search for him in the dark.

"Hiccup!" I whisper shout "Where are you?!"

"Shh... I'm over here."

Following his voice, I find his hiding spot. "Why did you leave early?"

"Remember what Gobber said?"

"What part?"

"The part about a downed dragon being a dead dragon."

"Wait. So... what are you saying?" I ask with curiosity.

"Toothless can't fly."

"What are you going to do about it?"

"I know how but we need to go to the forge."

As I am fiddling with my pen and paper trying to come up with something new Hiccup announces "Yes! I've got it!". Showing me his newest design.

"What is it?" I ask giving a confused look.

"Remember how the dragon couldn't fly right?"

"Yeah."

"Well, it's because one of his tail fins is missing. So, I'm making him a prosthetic one." Holding up his design.

"Wow, that's so cool! Can I help you?"

"Sure!"

__________________

Author's note (August 8, 2021):

Here is another long-awaited update.