2.18

I sit at the picnic table outside Jackson's trailer in the Bayou, drinking coffee. The werewolves are sparring with one another. Jack is fighting against Aiden. Everyone is trying out their new abilities. Jackson manages to block Aiden before he elbows him in the face and laughs proudly.

"Oh-ho-ho, you're getting faster!" Jack shouts.

"Maybe you're just getting slower, huh?" Aiden taunts.

They continue fighting. Aiden punches Jackson in the face, but Jack quickly knees him in the stomach. In retaliation, Aiden elbows him in the side.

"Ahhh!" Jack shouts.

Before Aiden can punch him in the face again, Jack grabs him by the arm and throws him onto the ground and into a nearby puddle. When Aiden stands back on his feet, his clothes and hands are all covered in mud.

"Keep your head up! Low center, guard your face," Jack tells him.

Aiden angrily lunges for Jack and roughly shoves him backwards and starts punching him in the face. To protect himself, Jack grabs him in a headlock, but when Aiden can't immediately get out of it, his eyes start glowing gold as his fangs come out and he bites Jackson in the arm.

Jackson lets go and yelps in pain. "Ahhh! What the hell?"

"You left yourself wide open!" Aiden shouts.

"It was your idea to come out here and spar. I'm doing this for you," Jack tells him.

Aiden rolls his eyes. "Oh, for me? You're the one leading a pack of super-wolves. How long before they decide they don't want to take orders for you anymore? Huh?" He walks over to Jackson and gets in his face. "Because the only way you can stay Alpha is by always being the strongest."

I shout at them from the table, "You guys done? This macho-stuff is cute and all, but don't make me come out there and kick both your asses!"

Jack laughs at my words for a moment before turning to Aiden. "Look, if you got a problem with the way I lead, now's the time to speak up."

"Klaus is acting like we're on his leash. You think the guys don't see that? Things are changing, Jackson! Our people aren't cursed anymore! We're strong. If any of them see you as vulnerable, they're going to challenge you for Alpha, because that is what wolves do," Aiden says.

Jack is getting angry. "Are you putting yourself in that category?"

"I'm looking out for you. That's all," Aiden states. He shoves past Jackson and leaves.

I place my coffee cup down on the table. I make my way over to Jack. He smiles at me softly. "So is it my time to finally spar with the Alpha?"

Jack chuckles and puts his fists up. "Give it all you got."

I laugh. "I don't think you can handle all I've got."

Jack and I start to spar. I go easy on him not wanting to hurt my husband. I start throwing punches and kicks, but Jack easily dodges them. I pause for a moment and look at Jack. I can tell he is still angry about what Aiden said.

"You still thinking about what Aiden said?" I ask.

Jack sighs. "He was just trying to help. Being Alpha is an honor. It's one you have to earn every day, and... the pack is changing." We start to walk towards his trailer. "You know? We're going to face some challenges. I just want them to know that I'm here to lead for them. That I put them first."

We sit down at the picnic table. I sigh as I look at Jack. "The pack loves you, Jack. You just have to remind them of that. Buy them a round of beers, turn on that backwoods-Bayou charm. Worked on me!"