2.23

I was barely able to sleep last night. I spent the whole night watching over Jolie. Having seen Dahlia with my own eyes, I have no doubt she is coming for my daughter. I am placing all my trust in my siblings to help me put an end to our Aunt Dahlia.

I'm surprised to get a call from Elijah. "Where are Mikael's ashes? Given that they are the main ingredient in our weapon against Dahlia, would you care to tell me where they disappeared to?"

I'm shocked by Elijah's words. "What do you mean? Mikael's ashes are gone?"

"When I went to gather them this morning, they were all gone," Elijah explains.

I sigh. "I can assure you Elijah, that I do not have them. I haven't left Jolie's side all night."

Elijah groans. "So I'm to assume our brother is to blame?"

"Elijah, please just let me know when you find them. Dahlia is going to come for Jolie and we need that knife," I tell him.

I hang up the phone and turn back to my daughter. She is on the floor playing with her toys, not aware of what is to come. I smile slightly at her. I would never let anything happen to her. I pick up her stuffed wolf and make it dance in front of her.

I smile when Jack and Aiden walk into the room. Jack walks over and picks Jolie up. He smiles down at our daughter.

I groan when I feel my phone ring. I look at the ID and see Elijah is calling again. I step off to the side, away from Jack and Aiden. "What is it this time, Elijah?"

"Dahlia was at the compound. She was possessing the body of Josephine. She doesn't know where you and Jolie are," Elijah explains. I let out a sigh of relief. "But she said she is coming for Jolie, we have until tomorrow at midnight."

"I take it you and Nik are already starting on a plan. Just let me know what I need to do," I tell Elijah before hanging up.

I walk back over to Jack. "Who was that?"

"Elijah." I pause for a moment. "Good news? Dahlia still doesn't know that we're here. Bad news? She's given us until tomorrow night, and then she's coming for Jolie."

"Well, I say we get the hell out of here," Jack offers.

I lower my voice. "Look, Jack, I wanna go as much as you do, but think Freya said that Dahlia was drawn to Jolie's magic. No matter how far we go, she's still gonna be able to track us! At least this place is spelled, no one can do magic here, not Jolie or Dahlia."

I lied. I don't want to go anywhere. I want to raise my daughter surrounded by my family. I know that is not possible right now. Right now I need to worry about my daughter's safety. If leaving New Orleans is the only way to keep her safe then I'll go. But I'm not going to leave without a fight. I would give up everything for my daughter.

Jack looks worried. "Sure, this place is spelled, but we've seen bigger magic than this break. I say we run while we can." Jack places Jolie in her playpen.

I look down at her concerned. "It's a risk either way. She's just so little. It's not fair witchcraft, magical spells. She didn't ask for any of this." Then I get an idea. "Which means that she wouldn't miss it if it was gone." Jack looks confused. "Jack, maybe that's it? Dahlia could only sense her when she's using magic. So, what if there's a way of stopping her from doing it in the first place?"

Jack frowns. "She's just a baby. How are we gonna do that?"

"I have an idea. Although... it's dangerous. Especially now," I offer.

Aiden pipes up, "Let me do it." Jack and I turn to look at him concerned. Aiden doesn't need to get involved in my family's mess. "Look, whatever it is, it's my fault you didn't get away yesterday."