Chapter Sixteen|| Reporters

{Rosemarie's POV}

I waved out the window as people stood on the sides of the road as we drove by. Millions of questions were floating around in my mind. I wanted to know the truth; what everyone thought about what was just announced, but I know I wouldn't like the answers.

Mathias has a small smile on his face waving to some children that were on his side. I also wanted to know what was going through his mind. He was good at composing himself, I'll give him that. Though, with what he has been through, I'm sure he has mastered it over the years. It was as if the Goddess prepared him for this and just left me out of the equation.

Why?

A small part of me thought it was because maybe this was his chance to help someone other than himself. All these years he had to worry about himself and his safety but now he also has me too...he isn't alone anymore.

I sighed, rolling up my window when we passed the last of the people and slouched in my seat after Mathias rolled his up as well. He looked over at me and let out a chuckle.

"What?" I asked at the humor in his eyes.

"I have never seen someone slouch so quickly in my life." He teased and I rolled my eyes.

"Well, when you're taught to push your shoulders back and plaster a smile on in front of people at all times...you take any break you can get," I mumbled.

"I see that." He looked back out his window and I couldn't help but reach over and grab his hand.

I wanted to keep the conversation going. I liked talking to him.

His eyes met mine at the contact and I smiled. "What's on your mind?" I softly asked and he replied with a shrug.

"Nothing really. I'm just taking this all in I guess."

"Are you happy about becoming a king?"

"I don't know yet. I liked being the alpha of the war pack...I do know that."

"You will still be assisting with it, though." I countered.

"Yes, for the time being, but when I become king I have a feeling that will all change and your brother will take the reigns. I shaped that pack with my bare hands, Rose. My father was a damn good alpha, don't get me wrong, but I just...made the pack better...stronger. It was the only thing I ever felt accomplished about."

"You don't know that...plus...my brother will never be as good as the alpha you were. He was pampered in the royal castle. He doesn't know what it is really like to run something. Sure, he was taught things from my father, but he never has experienced it. I don't think he knows how hard it will actually be. I can relate, trust me."

"That's what I'm worried about," he mumbled, pulling his hand from mine.

I wanted to roll my eyes at him. Some days it was so easy being around him and other days it was utterly terrible. It feels like just when I break through that tough exterior he puts around him, he comes right back and patches it up. I didn't know how to act around him.

When we reached home at the Royal Pack, I felt more at ease. We rolled up to the palace and our doors were opened for us. I walked towards the front steps with Mathias following behind me.

I walked in and immediately kicked my shoes off when the doors shut behind Mathias. I sighed in relief, no more stiff shoes for today. I reached down and picked them up walking towards the stairs.

"Rosemarie," Mathias called out and my brows furrowed.

He always calls me Rose.

I turned to look at him but saw a young girl standing by a door with our butler. The young girl stared at me with wide eyes and I quickly looked back at Mathias confused.