Chapter 7

"No freaking way." Emilia and Sofia dissolve in chuckles, tears streaming from their eyes. I nod, clutching my stomach in laughter.

"A-and then he tripped over the guy on the floor and knocked himself out. I didn't even have to do anything."

We all burst out laughing again, Emilia almost falling out of her chair. I had decided to take a break today and hung out with Frankie or little man as I call him all morning. I had certainly grown close to the kid over the past 2 weeks. He too seemed to love hanging out with me and I didn't mind. He was adorable and I appreciated his innocence more than I could say. In the world I live in, the innocent smiles and laughter of a kid could really do wonders for your mental health or what was left of mine anyways. Frankie was currently having a nap and I was spending time with Emilia and Sofia. They had come home a little early from work and I was telling them some of my funny stories on the job. I had grown closer to the two of them as well. Sofia was like an elder sister to me while Emilia was the younger, more childlike one. Having never had any female friends or friends in general, it was nice to have someone to chat with and just spend time. However, the voice in my head never failed to remind me that all this was temporary. When this was over, I would go back to my old life and they would go back to theirs. The logical part of me was warning me to not get too attached but the masochist in me told me to enjoy this while it lasted and deal with the pain later.

Just then, one of Luciano's men, James walked in to the living room, a grave expression on his face. All of his men had been incredibly sweet and protective towards me since I got here.

"Ladies, I'm sorry to interrupt. But, Alessa, we have a problem." I immediately turned into business mode. Standing up, I walk towards him.

"What's wrong, James?"

"We need to move the three of you to a secure room now. Don's orders."

"James, what's going on?" Emilia asks, all of us worried.

James seems to contemplate telling us before giving in.

"One of Connor's men just entered the compound. He says he has a message from Connor."

My heart speeds up for a bit but I take a deep breath. We needed to stay calm and deal with this.

"Is he alone?"

"Yes, we have him in the basement right now." I nod, watching him closely.

"What else are you not telling me?"

James looks at me in shock before maintaining a neutral expression.

"That's it, Alessa."

I take a step closer to him and say in a low tone,"Do not lie to me James. What are you not telling me?"

He sighs,"He says he has a message for you and he won't talk to anyone but you."

I gather my thoughts for a second before nodding.

"Okay, Emilia, Sofia, follow the men to safety. Do as they say"

"Wait, Alessa, where are you going?" Sofia asks worried.

"I'm gonna see what he has to say."

"Alessa, Don specifically asked to keep you safe and away from him until he's back."

"Where is Luciano?" I ask James.

"He's on his way back. He should be here in 5 minutes."

"Good, then he can join us down there."

"Alessa, you need to follow-"

"James, I'm sure you know better than to stand in my way."

He stares at me for a few seconds before sighing in defeat,"You're gonna get me killed, you know?"