Chapter 13

1-1, 1-1-2,1-6-3-2. I mentally count in my head as I pound into the punching bag. I'm dripping with sweat and my knuckles are all sore and red from hitting the bag so hard despite me taping my hands.

Sergio and Giada's words run through my head like a song on repeat.

Would you say yes if Luciano asked you to stay?

I have never seen my son this happy and something tells me you've never been this happy either.

You're part of the family now.

I end my sequence with a strong roundhouse kick, sending the bag flying. I stare at the bag blankly for a few seconds before sinking to the floor, dropping my head down.

A ice pack enters my vision and I look up to see Luciano standing there, holding it. His expression is blank but I see a flash of worry  as he eyes my now bleeding knuckles. I remove my Airpods and take the pack from him, mumbling a thanks. He doesn't say a word, sinking to the floor beside me and leaning against the wall. I place the cold pack against my swollen knuckles, hissing slightly at the pain.

"Never pegged you as a masochist." he says after a few minutes.

I just shrug, staring blankly ahead.

"You wanna tell me what's wrong or do I have to guess?"

"Who said something was wrong?"

"oh, I don't know. The fact that you've been in the gym for the past 2 hours beating the crap out of that punching bag till your knuckles are bleeding. You owe me a new punching bag by the way."he says in a sarcastic tone, pointing to the busted bag lying on the floor.

"You drive one of the world's most expensive cars and you want me to pay you back for a punching bag?"

"Accountability,cara. Accountability." He says in a sing song voice and I roll my eyes playfully.

"Were my parents that bad?"

I turn to look at him, but he just stares at me with that stupid poker face of his.

"They were amazing. How they produced a child like you baffles me."

"If they were amazing, why are you so pissed off?"

"Because they were amazing." I say and he rolls his eyes at me.

"This is why I will never understand women or more specifically, you."

I can't help but chuckle lightly at his tone of voice.

"Why don't you have a girlfriend?" I ask him

"What?"

"Why don't you have a girlfriend? You know, a woman that you love and are in a relationship with?"

He stares at me for a few seconds. "Before this, I never met someone who made me want to be in a relationship I suppose.  Also, I've been so focused on the mafia to even think about one."

I nod once, switching the icepack to my other hand.

"Are your parents always this welcoming and nice to strangers ?"

"Mama is a good judge of character at first sight. Papa takes his time to study you which is why I was surprised earlier. I've never seen him ask someone to call him by his first name so quick before."
"Guess I'm just that charming."
"I heard mama invited you for Christmas."
"She did."
"And?"
"I told her I might be working so no promises. "

"Meaning you're not coming either way."

I stay quiet, knowing he' s right.

"What are your plans for the future, Alessandra?" Luciano says in a serious tone.