Chapter 10

"NO!" I sit up abruptly, aiming my gun in front of me. It takes me a minute to realise that I am not in an alley and Connor is not standing in front of me. I'm in my bedroom, pointing my gun at the wall in front of me. Gingerly, I lower my gun, placing it back under my pillow after making sure the safety is off. I'm sweating bullets and I curse as I realise that my hands are shaking. Glancing at the clock beside me, it reads 4.30am. Sighing, I get out of bed feeling parched. The nightmares were there every night but the past few nights have been terrible. What I would give just for one night of uninterrupted sleep. Shrugging on my long cardigan, I quietly open my door and head downstairs to the kitchen. I open the fridge to grab a bottle of water, my eyes falling on the leftover birthday cake from my party. It was hard to imagine that just a few hours ago, I was happy and having the time of my life. Gulping down the cool liquid, I step out into the backyard which had become my personal sanctuary during my stay. I found that coming down here after my nightmares woke me up calmed me. I had always loved the night even as a child. There was something so beautiful about it, hauntingly dangerous. Luciano's mansion was quite a distance from the city so you could actually see the stars and not hear any traffic. Leaning against the pillar, I take a deep breath to clear my head but the images continue playing like a slideshow.
"It's beautiful isn't it?"
I whirl around startled at the sudden intrusion. Standing in the doorway is none other than Luciano Moretti, clad in a pair of sweatpants and T-shirt. Ignoring the way his clothes fit his chiselled body perfectly, I turn back around eyes snapping up to the sky again.
"Why are you up at this hour?"
He silently moves forward, leaning against the pillar opposite me. Fixing his intense grey gaze on me, he says "I would ask you the same thing if it weren't for the fact that you've been coming out here almost every night like clockwork."
I raise an eyebrow at him, "Stalking me, Vincenzo?"
He smirks,"I always know what goes on in my territory, dolchezza."
That was true. The guy was like a freaking ninja, he had eyes and ears all over the place. Hell, all over the country.
We stand there in silence for a while, enjoying the cool night breeze.
"You look tired." He notes, still looking at me.
I wave him off, "that's what coffee is for."
He doesn't fall for it though. "I have a feeling caffeine can't fix this."
I inhale sharply, hating that he was so astute.
It can't. I don't voice it out though, choosing to change the subject.
"Thank you for the surprise party. You didn't have to do anything. I don't usually celebrate my birthday."
He doesn't comment on my evasiveness, choosing to humour me.
"Why?"
"What why?"
"Why don't you celebrate your birthday?"
I send him a dry look, "Who exactly am I gonna go out with, Vincenzo? I don't know if you've noticed but I don't exactly have a social life."
He rolls his eyes at my tone, "Then I'm glad I changed that this year." I shift slightly, causing my pendant to glint in the moonlight.
"You're wearing it." He says in a slightly surprised tone.
"Why wouldn't I?It's beautiful. Thank you again."
"Glad you like it. I wasn't sure if you would accept it."
I look at him incredulously, "of course I would accept it. It's an honour really."
He smirks at me, "of course it's an honour. Not everyone is lucky enough to receive a personal gift from me."
I rolls my eyes at his arrogance. "Tone down that ego big guy."
""You got the big part right."
"Vincenzo!"
He laughs lightly and I can't help but chuckle at him.
We fall back into silence but I don't mind. It isn't awkward.

"I was 16 the first time I killed a man." I turn to Luciano but he keeps his gaze up on to the sky.

"He was one of my father's men who betrayed us for money. He leaked details on a weapons shipment to one of the rival gangs and got one of our guys killed in the shootout. Tony was a good man, a friend to my father and an uncle to me and Emilia. That was the first time I felt that kind of rage and I channeled it all into punishing the mole. When I pulled the trigger, I felt nothing. No guilt, no regret, just this numbness and a sliver of joy. I had avenged Tony, gotten justice for him and his family. A week later, however, everything changed."