Chapter 17

Thomas looks at me, a blank expression on his face before turning his gaze to Luciano.
He looks back at me, raising an eyebrow.
"I see you brought backup."
Luciano takes a seat beside me, sending a cool look to him.
"You and I both know she doesn't need backup."
Thomas doesn't seem to know what to say and turns back, looking at me.
"Alessa, I truly am sorr-"
I hold up my hand, cutting him off.
"Fuck your apologies. I want to know how the fuck you missed something like that."

"Watch your tone, Alessandra.'

"Don't test me Thomas. Not today."

He glares at me but I don't lower my icy gaze.

"We had no idea it was a CIA black site. It's one of their newer sites and tech support never picked up on it."
I stare at him for a few seconds before lifting my lips in a half smile.
"Why didn't Victor carry out a sniper hit?"
"Excuse me?"
"I know all about Victor's assignment. It was a simple mission. Even a junior agent knows that breaking into a rogue CIA agent's home is dangerous. He had a clear shot from the building opposite the target's apartment. Why didn't he take it?"
"How did you find out about that?"
"That's all you have to say?"
Thomas sighs, rubbing his chin.
"Victor screwed up, I admit. I don't know why he did what he did but believe me, when he's out of the hospital I'm gonna be having a word with him."
"Why'd you send me in?"
"Excuse me?"
"Why did you send me in?" I say slowly.
Thomas blinks, before letting out a short laugh.
"You're our best agent Alessa."
"I know but I'm in the middle of an assignment. You could have sent another agent in to extract Victor."
"It was a dangerous mission, one that needed a highly skilled operative. I sent you because you've dealt with the CIA before."
I raise an eyebrow, "I though you didn't know it was a black site."
Thomas pauses, and his eyes flash with uncertainty.
"I didn't but the assignment did involve a CIA agent. We didn't know what was awaiting us."
"Meaning you gambled with my life on purpose."
Thomas remains silent, proving my point.
I nod, making a move to stand up.
"I'm gonna let this slide this time."
"Are you threatening me Alessa?"
Thomas says, his voice low and dark.
I smirk but it's cynical.
"Me threaten you? I would never. Think of it more as a friendly word of advice."
"This is a threat. Interfere in my business again and you and I will no longer be allies."
Luciano who has been silent this whole time cuts in, his voice deadly.
Thomas glares at him, "With all due respect Don Moretti, this has nothing to do with you. This is between the CCC, Alessa and me."

Luciano laughs and it sends a shiver down my spine. "It became my business when you pulled Alessa out from our joint operation without consulting me. It became my business when you knowingly endangered her life."
Thomas gulps a little but doesn't back down.
"I knew that Alessa had become close with your family but I didn't know the both of you had a...personal connection."
"It's just business Thomas. I need Alessa to take down Connor. If she dies, I can't get what I want."
Great, I had now been reduced to a business deal, a mere pawn in Luciano Moretti's game.

"If the two of you would stop talking about me as if I'm not here, I'd really appreciate it," I say sarcastically but the two men ignore me, continuing their little staring contest.

Thomas nods, eyeing Luciano carefully.
"I can't argue with that. I suppose I owe you an apology Don Moretti. It won't happen again."
"For your sake, I sure hope not."

Thomas turns to me, forcing a smile. "I owe you an apology too Alessa. It won't happen again as well."
"Like Don said, for your sake I sure hope not."
I turn to leave, Luciano holding the door open for me. I'm almost out the door when Thomas calls out my name.
"Alessa." I turn and he gazes at me cooly.
"Friendly word of advice. It would be unwise to forget the hand that fed you."
I raise an eyebrow at him, "I think it would be unwise of the hand to forget what I'm capable of."
Thomas's eyes flash with anger.
"You're not one of them Alessa."
"Exactly. I'm not one of anyone's."
With that, I walk out leaving him seething with anger. Luciano doesn't say a word as we head back to the car. The ride home is silent and I'm glad he doesn't try to strike up a conversation. I needed time to calm down and process everything.